Why is my Betta stressed?!

Sokamix

Hello, my betta has been glass surfing, swimming frantically, and biting his own tail. My water parameters are good, and no other tank-mates. What causes this? I’m going to use some API stress coat to calm him down for now. I bought some Indian almond leaves, turned the filter flow down, and dimmed the lights. But I need to know what I’m doing wrong! Please help

ChrissFishes01

Can you fill out the emergency template for us? That'll eliminate a ton of questions off the bat :)

How long have you had him?

Sokamix

Can you fill out the emergency template for us? That'll eliminate a ton of questions off the bat :)

How long have you had him?
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
10 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
3 weeks
Does it have a filter?
Yes sponge filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
80 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
Just the betta
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
water change once a week
How much of the water do you change?
50%
What do you use to treat your water?
TankFirst water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum it and rake the sand

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
No I didnt, used QuickStart and did lots of water changes
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:5.0 ppm
pH: 6.6 is that bad?

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Everyday
How much do you feed your fish?
5 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Betta Bio Gold
Do you feed frozen?
Yes frozen bloodworms once a week
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
Yes once a week
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
4 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
His fins he is biting, stressed
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
He is swimming frantically, glass swimming, and biting fins

ChrissFishes01

Are you seeing him bite his fins, or are you just noticing them looking ragged?

I don't see anything else wrong in the template, other than you're feeding a bit heavier than I would for a betta. They're prone to bloat (especially on dry foods), so I always fed lighter, more like 2-3 pellets a day. Not the problem here, but might be worth looking into!

I'm going to tag BigManAquatics. He's the Big Man when it comes to Aquatic Bettas :p

Sokamix

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
10 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
3 weeks
Does it have a filter?
Yes sponge filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
80 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
Just the betta
(Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
water change once a week
How much of the water do you change?
50%
What do you use to treat your water?
TankFirst water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum it and rake the sand

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
No I didnt, used QuickStart and did lots of water changes
What do you use to test the water?
API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:5.0 ppm
pH: 6.6 is that bad?

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Everyday
How much do you feed your fish?
5 pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Betta Bio Gold
Do you feed frozen?
Yes frozen bloodworms once a week
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
Yes once a week
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
4 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
His fins he is biting, stressed
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
He is swimming frantically, glass swimming, and biting fins
Here is a pic of my tank and my bettas fins
A70916D5-DBA2-4FF2-B275-945998632C0D.jpeg
E109ACDD-ED34-4FC1-8CFE-7845E47F39CE.jpeg
Are you seeing him bite his fins, or are you just noticing them looking ragged?

I don't see anything else wrong in the template, other than you're feeding a bit heavier than I would for a betta. They're prone to bloat (especially on dry foods), so I always fed lighter, more like 2-3 pellets a day. Not the problem here, but might be worth looking into!

I'm going to tag BigManAquatics. He's the Big Man when it comes to Aquatic Bettas :p
Oh ok, someone said he looks a bit thin, so I thought I would feed a bit heavier for a week but I think I can tone it down now. Thanks! Should I use the stress coat? I haven’t seen him bite them, but it looks like he is biting them especially since it happened overnight

Attachments

• 3EC1D9D1-260D-4071-9D34-9C810901C83C.jpeg
    3EC1D9D1-260D-4071-9D34-9C810901C83C.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 16

ChrissFishes01

Here is a pic of my tank and my bettas fins
A70916D5-DBA2-4FF2-B275-945998632C0D.jpeg
E109ACDD-ED34-4FC1-8CFE-7845E47F39CE.jpeg

Oh ok, someone said he looks a bit thin, so I thought I would feed a bit heavier for a week but I think I can tone it down now. Thanks! Should I use the stress coat?
Nice tank :) and a pretty boy, too.

The top of the tank is pretty wide open - my bettas always liked having some floating plants/floating decor, so you might try that to make him a little more comfy.

Weight will be put on in time - I've seen my fair share of bettas get sick with bloat, and they're terribly hard to starve, so I always err on the side of caution when it comes to feeding.

Personally, I don't think the stress coat will matter. It's a good water conditioner, but I'm not convinced it really makes much of a difference otherwise. I don't think it'll hurt, though!

Sokamix

Nice tank :) and a pretty boy, too.

The top of the tank is pretty wide open - my bettas always liked having some floating plants/floating decor, so you might try that to make him a little more comfy.

Weight will be put on in time - I've seen my fair share of bettas get sick with bloat, and they're terribly hard to starve, so I always err on the side of caution when it comes to feeding.

Personally, I don't think the stress coat will matter. It's a good water conditioner, but I'm not convinced it really makes much of a difference otherwise. I don't think it'll hurt, though!
Ok I’m just going to try it, just because it doesn’t hurt to try and maybe I can experiment to see if it works. Ok I will lower the feeding. I actually have some frog bit and it’s growing (so that’s why you can’t see it) but I’m going to buy more! Thank you☺️ I’ll do what I’m doing and see if it works

BigManAquatics

If you think he is biting, i would add some more fake plants for him to hide amongst and explore. If it seems to make a difference, you can always put real plants in place of the fake ones.

Sokamix

If you think he is biting, i would add some more fake plants for him to hide amongst and explore. If it seems to make a difference, you can always put real plants in place of the fake ones.
I was just going to the store to buy some more plants. Thinking of maybe a Java fern or something, not a big fan of fake plants

BigManAquatics

I was just going to the store to buy some more plants. Thinking of maybe a Java fern or something, not a big fan of fake plants
I only suggest it becsuse fake plants generally come more full and you can find out a lot quicker if it helps. Really, as the tank currently sits, it is pretty devoid of places for a betta to hide.

Sokamix

I only suggest it becsuse fake plants generally come more full and you can find out a lot quicker if it helps. Really, as the tank currently sits, it is pretty devoid of places for a betta to hide.
Ok I will buy some fake ones.
Ok I will buy some fake ones.
Do these look good for bettas?
image.jpg

ValkyrieLips

The plastic can tear betta fins, I would suggest silk instead.

If your betta is shy he could be stressed by the wide open spaces in the tank and lack of hiding spots. I have a timid betta myself and I have found adding a ton of hiding spots helps give him confidence to explore everything in the tank. I have every level covered for him from top to bottom.

Sokamix

H
Hello ! My betta is still stressed- his fins are healed and here is his tank now. He is still glass surfing and I feel so bad. Please help

BigManAquatics

Maybe try putting some plants or no reflective paper up against the glass. May be seeing its own reflection and chasing after it.

Sokamix

Maybe try putting some plants or no reflective paper up against the glass. May be seeing its own reflection and chasing after it.
Yeah I already have put paper but it’s white I’m going to change it to black and see how that goes. Thx
Here is his tank.
5ACDC85D-FADA-4561-B17B-BA094A99B475.jpeg

BigManAquatics

Yeah I already have put paper but it’s white I’m going to change it to black and see how that goes. Thx

Here is his tank.
5ACDC85D-FADA-4561-B17B-BA094A99B475.jpeg
If neither one of those ideas work, don't know what to tell ya. One or the other has always worked for me.

Sokamix

If neither one of those ideas work, don't know what to tell ya. One or the other has always worked for me.
Ok thanks so much for all your help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Franklyfrankie
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
Melina1020
Replies