Why Is My Anubias Looking Like This?

1. V

Vindtage89 New Member Member

I'm wondering if I can get some help. My anubias seems to have some sort of deficiency. The lights are on a timer for 9 hours every day, it's a 30gallon tank with t5 sunblaster lights. I dose with liquid c02 and occasionally with fluvial plant micronutrients. Any ideas as to why the leaves are developing these dark spots? 20170802_140828.jpg

2. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

It's green spot algae, too much light. It's a very slow growing plant so it's quite vulnerable to gsa. I just trimmed back a tank and within a couple weeks mine also fell victim to it. Move it to a shaded area or add something that can float like dwarf water lettuce, Anacharis, hornwort, etc to shade the anubias.

I've no idea how to get rid of it from the plant just how to prevent it from getting worse. I know some snails supposedly eat it but I just keep it shaded and trim back as new growth appears, a slow process with anubias.

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

It's green spot algae, brushing some excel on it will get rid of it. The newest leaf does look lighter in color than it should be though.

4. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Thanks -Mak- although I'm not OP I'm going to do that to mine today and nuke my own :)

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

No problem! May take a couple tries since GSA is a toughie, but it hates excel just as much as other algaes.

6. OP
    OP
    V

Vindtage89 New Member Member

Ok great thanks for all the tips! Much appreciated!

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Gsa usually comes about from low phosphates more then the lighting (lighting is a factor though). I would recommend a good macro fert (contains NPK). Trace is just micros.
    Good all in ones would be nilocg thrive or ultum nature systems plant food.
    Please note that you can not dose phosphates only to correct this, phosphates doses without nitrogen will result in other algaes :) a balance fert routine is better.