20 Gallon Tank Why is my amazon sword doing this

Guppyception

Member
Can anyone tell me why my amazon sword in the foreground is doing mediocre and why the ones in the back are doing so well? Parameters are normal and I dose flourish by seachem. None of the swords have root tabs. I would say that’s the issue but the others are flourishing. (No pun intended)
 

juniperlea

Member
Guppyception said:
Can anyone tell me why my amazon sword in the foreground is doing mediocre and why the ones in the back are doing so well? Parameters are normal and I dose flourish by seachem. None of the swords have root tabs. I would say that’s the issue but the others are flourishing. (No pun intended)
I empathize completely. The only thing I know is that I think they can't be buried too deeply....? But both of yours are not. Did you buy them both at the same time and from the same place?
 
  • Thread Starter

Guppyception

Member
juniperlea said:
I empathize completely. The only thing I know is that I think they can't be buried too deeply....? But both of yours are not. Did you buy them both at the same time and from the same place?
I bought all three from the same place but the small one that is not doing well I have had for longer. It makes no sense to me. The others are doing well. If I get rid of the small one its just another reason for me to go buy more plants
 

kallililly1973

Member
Are you pushing root tabs under each of them? You could remove some of the outer leaves and possibly even reposition it in a different area in your tank to allow a little more light to get to it.
 

AngryRainbow

Member
If the one that is not doing well is older, it may be explained because its been without the proper nutrients (root tabs) for longer than the other ones.

I'm no expert so this is just specilation but I know swords are heavy root feeders, dosing ferts into the water column dose very little for them
 

juniperlea

Member
Guppyception said:
I bought all three from the same place but the small one that is not doing well I have had for longer. It makes no sense to me. The others are doing well. If I get rid of the small one its just another reason for me to go buy more plants
I'm houseplant crazy, air plant crazy, growing flowers from seed indoors crazy, and have M.T.S.!!!! There is little hope for me! Anyway, I became annoyed because my local houseplant 'dealer' always had stunningly beautiful plants. I'd bring them home, provide the right amount of kelvins, lumens, fish poop fertilizer (I used to buy that. Now I don't have to!), etc etc etc. I became suspicious and am convinced that some of these houseplant nurseries dose the plants so they look fantastic in the store. In other words, don't blame yourself. One plant may just be genetically more healthy, and the other might have been neglected from childhood!
 
  • Thread Starter

Guppyception

Member
kallililly1973 said:
Are you pushing root tabs under each of them? You could remove some of the outer leaves and possibly even reposition it in a different area in your tank to allow a little more light to get to it.
I use no root tabs but I suppose I should start doing so
 

!poogs!

Member
I’m hit and miss on root tabs. I’ve used them, can’t say I have noticed much of difference. Swords do just as good without than with, so I stopped using them. Everything I do is water column. Swords like iron. Have you tried Seachem Iron. And if your going with iron, you may as well dose potassium it assists plants taking up iron.
 
  • Thread Starter

Guppyception

Member
!poogs! said:
I’m hit and miss on root tabs. I’ve used them, can’t say I have noticed much of difference. Swords do just as good without than with, so I stopped using them. Everything I do is water column. Swords like iron. Have you tried Seachem Iron. And if your going with iron, you may as well dose potassium it assists plants taking up iron.
I bought root tabs and CO2 seachem today as well as dosing flourish
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom