Why is it so hard to find Siamese Algae Eaters?

KyleC17

Why is it so dang hard to find Siamese Algae Eaters? Our LFS thinks I mean Chinese Algae Eaters every time I ask for SAE. Then he said "Well maybe you mean the flying fox fish." No, I mean SAE. The Flying Fox is EXTREMELY close, but not the same. So I moved on over to try finding them elsewhere because I don't think they're going to be able to find them for me. I found some fish listed as "Siamese Flying Fox Algae Eater" and it looks like a mix of a SAE and a Flying Fox. Can anyone tell me what you think these are? They have the black stripe running all through their tail, but it's not solid like SAE's I've seen before. It won't let me upload the picture so just posting a link to it.

hampalong

That's a Crossocheilus sp. The back of FF is flatter, they're almost square in cross-section. And the colours and edges are different.

KyleC17

Awesome! I've finally found some. Thank you. Giving my LFS until Wednesday to see if they get any in and if not I'll just get a group of those. Thank you.

KarenLM

My LFS sells what they call Flying Fox but they really are SAE.

Anders247

My petco sells SAEs as flying fox.....

hampalong

Most shops over here can't tell the difference either. If you've kept a FF long term you can. They're a unique shape, and a beautiful looking fish. One of my favourites.

KyleC17

Well finally found 2 Siamese Algae Eaters today. Need to find another 4-5 though to finish the group. They're a beautiful and active fish. Wasn't expecting them to be such playful fish, plus they came from a tank full of cichlids so they were used to them already. They're fitting in quite well so far.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Janice1979
Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views