Status
Not open for further replies.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
100_3388.JPG
Alot of you have seen my Delta Betta Quincey before...he is one of my more colorful bettas. He is always very active and happy. Swimming around his half of his tank whom he shares the tank with Sherlock, my other betta. Its divided. Quincey and Sherlock have never had a problem with each other. They'll flare from time to time at each other but other then that they seem to care less. And Quincey is always in a "happy" mood swimming around and greeting me when I walk over. But today...he's...lathargic...just laying around on the bottom of his side of his tank behind his terra cotta pot. I'm not sure what is wrong...water perameters are as follow, Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-15. I just tested the water...thinking oh no something must be wrong. But...Sherlock is swimming around like usual happy to have me near the tank. Yet Quincey is..."blah." I have noticed a few different things. One, Quincey has been slowly changing coloring over the last...about month and a half. His fins are slowing turning a very nice redish coloring. 100_3490.JPG
I figured this was just some Marbleing in his genes changing. I wasnt to worried about it. But its just his fins doing it. It doesnt look like any type of blood related problem so I figured his coloring was just mixing up some. The other thing is last night he was fine swimming around normally, but this morning my Dad is working outside my room on the house making a lot of banging noise sence 9 this morning. I think that the sound viberations could be bothering him some. I'm not sure whats going on, but it is stressing me out. Quincey is one of my closest bettas due to his personality and coloring I'd hate to lose him from something I didnt think of so I posted this thread asking for any other insight I might of missed. And as always Thank You everyone.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh the poor boy

I agree the coloring on his fins looks unrelated to me, marbling probably the cause.
When my bettas pout they tend to drop to the bottom of the tank, is it possible that he's just stressing from the noise?

I hope someone else comes by with some idea's for you.

OP
Furallicah

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Idk Red...the noise has stopped for over an hour..but he still doesnt seem any better. He has swam around a little more. I have my laptop on my desk now to watch him. I also have some very low soft music playing which all of my bettas have always seemed to like. It clams everyone down. He is usually swimming around the side of the tank facing me. But now he is still just laying around.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm well if nothing else a water change can't hurt. Try some stress coat as well. I hate to offer medication since 1) we don't know what's going on, and 2) he's in a divided tank and his room-mate isn't showing any symptoms.

Other then that I don't know what else to offer

OP
Furallicah

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Its ok Red...idk whats going on either......oh....now Sherlock is sitting in his hidding place which he doesnt usually do unless its night time. I have no idea what is going on and its starting to worry me.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe try garlic and/or Vita-Chem? At least they aren't medications...it sounds like you just need to keep an eye on him until he either perks back up or develops a symptom. At least if he's marbling toward red, it sounds like he's not an old man, since I think marbles tend to lose red as they mature. :console:

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
midthought: Some marbles do some don't My boy Patch was black and blue with only a white patch on his side. He ended up entirely red and white. With Marbles there isn't always a rhythm or reason to it.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I typed that out and then thought maybe it was a "most" thing with the marble + red-loss...I've also read that they eventually stop shifting though as they get older (or take longer to shift?). Either way, I'd take it as a tiny indicator that at least it's not just a sign of old age.

OP
Furallicah

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks midthought. But today is Saturday so everyone gets their frozen bloodworms soaked in garlic guard. I usually feed them that on fridays but I got in late last night and didnt feel to good so maybe he is mad at me. He loves his bloodworms. I just did a 75% water change which seemed to perk him up some, Sherlock too.

Last edited:
OP
Furallicah

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know this is back to back but seeing its been 5 hours I dont see the need to merge them. I wanted to update, all of my bettas got their frozen blood worms soaked in garlic guard. Everyone is happy....but Quincey...he's just moping around on the bottom of the tank hidding behind the base of his plant. Even Scropio who has fin rot is swimming round happly after his blood worms. Ugh.....

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My Mars moped and moped for 3 weeks with nothign wrong. Water was perfect, temp, great. Then I transported him 7 miles down the road to my bfs house and he is the happiest I have ever seen him. But for 3 weeks solid, I thought he was going to die. Really honestly prepared for it.

He moped like you have never seen moping before. Not moving, not eating much, just being there. When he first moved, people asked Paul where the fish was! It was a week in his new environment before he perked up as if nothing happened. Is he maybe going through something similar I wonder...? Just a suggestion as this happened to me

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe re-arrange his decor, do a water change, and add a few new decorations... perhaps he is bored? Perhaps a change in scenery will do him some good. It can't hurt, I suppose it might be worth a shot.

OP
Furallicah

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I figured out what is wrong...I think there is a case of fin rot in the tank. Quincey and Sherlock both have their fins claped and are lathargic. Quinceys fins have began to turn black and Sherlocks are in the very begining stages of fin rot....I've done treated the tank for the issue. Warm and clean water, with garlic treated food.

OP
Furallicah

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use Maracide. It isnt listed to treat fin rot....but it works wonders. Used it on my other betta Scropio a while back a week later he's back to normal and I only dosed him 2 of the 3 times. So hopefully if I have to use it it'll work. But I'm going to try to fight it with out medications first. Makes life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom