Why is betta popular? Question 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just wondering. I would think aquarium look better with many fish than just one.

Since Bettas are usually kept alone.

So why it is quite popular for people keep this one single fish - betta in a tank?

Is it because their look?
Or, are they very playful and can do tricks?
Or, if there is any reason I don't know about?

Another question, what if I get a betta for my 10 gallon planted aquarium which has a few red cherry shrimps and zebra netrite snails. Will there be problems?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think they are popular because they are colorful, pretty fish, especially compared to most commonly-found freshwater species. As far as many fish versus one, I think that is a personal aesthetic decision.

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Would they swim around a lot in a bigger tank? Wouldn't be fun if they stop there doing nothing like how they are in small containers in the stores.

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1. They're actually very hardy, which is clear from the conditions they are maintained in in the trade.
2. Very brightly colored and beautifully adorned finniage (is that a word even?ha)
3. They really do have above average intelligence and personality compared to many fish I've seen, researched and observed. This is purely opinion but it's almost like you have to own one to find this out... and then some tetras to see the difference LOL

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they are also popular because they are comical to watch and seem to have a lot of personality. Their behavior is much different than, say, a tetra in a school. But there is no doubt their abundant color and fin varieties have a lot to do with it as well.

*edit* Ninja'd

Bettas are much more interesting in tanks than in cups. They are more active and spend much of their time exploring and interacting with their environment, providing it is an environment that stimulates them, like a planted tank.

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vash said:
Would they swim around a lot in a bigger tank? Wouldn't be fun if they stop there doing nothing like how they are in small containers in the stores.
Yes. They will explore every square inch and explode with color and personality once they get some heat and clean water and some room to be a fish in.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to look at bettas in cups and think how boring!
After I joined FL and heard them described as puppies in fish suits and saw videos of them, I had to have one.

They're extremely personable, beautiful and down right amazing little fish. The love to have their people talk to them.

If this is gong where I think it is, this will help

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta are popular because they are dogs in a fish's body....They interact with their humans....

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They have more personality than other fish. They are more graceful and beautiful than any fish than I know of. After you have them for a while they seem to know you when they see you. I can think of another freshwater fish that is like that. Can you?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Iv been wanting a betta forever. Just from reading about them here and of course they are beautiful. Some people can get them in community type tanks (I'm NOT recommending it or anything!!!) but I'm getting a betta who has lived with a few female platies the majority of his life but don't go out and get platies, I'm just saying some people do manage to have community bettas but its a bit dodgy. From everything Iv read snails especially and shrimp are the best mates to try but ya never know depending on your particular bettas personality it could go great or not so much (like shrimp becoming betta snacks etc.)

If a betta doesn't appeal to you there are some other possibilities. I think a betta is a great choice though! Have fun!!

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Former Betta disliker here...

Bettas are just a ridiculous amount of fun. If you could cuddle a Betta it would be just like owning a slimy dog. It might be the 1 on 1 feeding experience (from the fingertip), it may be the way that they dance and jiggle whenever you approach the tank, it may be the way you can get them to jump for the food or whatever. In a way they are like cichlids in that they are very "aware" of the owner and will interact with you as much as you want them to.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally wouldn't put a betta in a tank with shrimp unless you want to provide it with a little cup of cocktail sauce too. I've read too many posts recently where people have talked about the persistent harassment the snails received from their betta tankmates to think about it.

But I think a lot of the betta appeal has to do with tank size. Many more people can keep a 3 gallon or 5 gallon tank on a desk or kitchen counter than can keep even a 10 gallon or 20 gallon tank. So bettas are the perfect office, small apartment or dorm fish. I prefer lots of fish myself, so I'd find a betta kinda boring.

-Lisa

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They come straight to the glass when you go near the tank and love to pose for the camera. Mine all seem to think I am trying to photgraph their faces though and won't show me their beautiful tails, until I look like I might leave then they try to get my attention.
Lisa is right that the tank size thing is important too. A prett hardy fish that you can put in a small tank and interacts with you? What is not to love?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

How could you not love this? (my boy Wriggley)

To put him with tank mates and risk his beautiful fins being damaged, just isn't worth the risk. (Thank you MM!)

A proud Dad! Can you tell?

Ken

Attachments

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Very proud dad speaks above, that fish used to be a gorgeous mint green, so some bettas (Marbles) change colour as well for the first year!

Bettas in cups are in not in their ideal environment. It's like if you were locked in a cupboard, you wouldn't act normally either, it's the same for them in those awful cups. The minute you get them into a heated filtered tank, they dance, they wiggle, they explore (some of them jump up for food or fun!). I have 6 just now (and a community tank as well), I can't get enough!!...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks TigerFishy,

Yes, Wriggley was mint green from head to tail when I first got him. The Marbles changing color is an added bonus.

Ken

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was gunna say they're puppies in a scaley body, but I got beat to it! XD They're also like potato chips, once you have one, you have to have more! =D

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettas in a 10 gallon

Bettas are great because of their colour, finnage, begging and they are *very* intelligent fish. Alot of people like them because they can live in smaller tanks, thus being good for dorms or apartments.

As for a community, it is very risky, but I personally think they do BETTER with tank mates as they seem to get bored without them. Shrimp can be hit and miss, but its probably worth trying if you have lots of java moss in the tank. Snails will be fine, if they are a decent size, but you may find your betta curiously checking it out now and then. Calcium is good for their shell too.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vash said:
So why it is quite popular for people keep this one single fish - betta in a tank?
Two words - personal preference

Having also had bettas, I can add that although I originally chose them to become acquainted with fishkeeping slowly, i.e., caring for a single fish rather than a tank full, I fell in love with their personalities. They are like small dogs in water. They interact like few other fish I've seen or had, the exception being my blood parrots. The bettas are beautiful to watch and exude a certain elegance and grace. They come in a wide variety of colors and patterns, so there's pretty much a betta out there for everyone.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Before owning a betta of my own, I had always thought they were boring fish. A lot of my friends would keep them in those silly 1/2 gallon tanks, so they didnt really move around. I have my betta in a 10 gallon and he's constantly swimming around, exploring the tank, and resting on the decor, and as soon as I walk in the room he swims up to the glass. Theyre definitely not boring fish that's for sure, if they have the right environment.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads