Why I love LFSs

1. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I went into the LFS the other day to see if they could order me some fish. Before I continue on with this story, it should be noted that this LFS was originally all saltwater, they've been carrying freshwater for about 2 weeks.

So, I asked him if he could order these fish for me, and the poor guy's looking all over the supplier, Segrest Farms, website, and then was like, "Well maybe I'll check our California supplier..." Not wanting to make him look all over for these fish, since I knew that Segrest had them, I was like, "I've seen them on the Segrest Farms website before," so I busted out my phone and found them for him :p

He was totally cool about it, though. Never batted an eye. If I had said something like that in PetSmart, they'd have thought I was creepin' LOL But no, he was "Oh, really?" and I told him where to find them LOL And THEN, he even let me tell him a little bit about them =3

This is why I love going to local stores =D

2. pprocyg Member Member

You got to love places that do admit that help is always welcome.

I guess I am lucky, my local petco aquatic department is run like a lfs. I can ask for just about any fish that segrest has in stock and they will order if for me. Even if PetCo doesn't have the ability to get them, I am lucky that I have I have a lfs somewhat nearby that will put me on the phone with their supplier to make sure we are talking about the right fish.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I've got a PetCo, PetSmart, PetLand (which I hate and avoid at all costs), Pet SuperMarket, and 2 freshwater LFSs (and another saltwater one). Variety! Lol

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I might as well be at the North Pole, for lack of decent LFs's in Tennessee.

Oh, wait.....

A good lfs is a treasure beyond price.

5. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

My LFS, Aquarium Center, is amazing! Their selection of fish is great! :;bananarow
    Unlike my Petsmart....

6. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

The Petsmart here is pretty good, actually. I buy a lot of my fish and supplies from them.

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I love my LFS, just found them a few weeks ago and they are awesome!!

Thou I also do like my Local Petco, they do a great job with their tanks (Mostly due to the manager being a former fish store owner)

The local Petsmart does a decent job but the fish never seem to last in my water. While the other two have no issues.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Strange, they should come from the same supplier....

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

we have 2 good LFS's that i know about in west tn. bobs tropicals and memfish. bobs is really pricey though.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Too bad they're worthless. And certainly worth less than $7 each.

You should have told the store they were for me :cool:

I just found my new favorite smiley.....not that I had an old one..... :love0007:

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

OMG, right? I made this post, and then like 30 minutes later, they called, and I went over there as soon as I could and was like "Way to let me down, guys -_-" They were good looking fish though, I'll say that. Not $7 good looking, but still :p

LOL They'd have run in the other direction if they knew that! :;laughing

12. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

What are you talking about, worthless? $7? Am I missing something here?

13. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I ordered Golden Wonder Killies to send to Jaysee because he can't find big ones, but the LFS was like "Oh, we'll sell you these teeny little 1 1/2 inches for $7" o_O At PetSmart, 3 inchers are $3! :rolleyes:

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

And they didn't even get enough to fill the order.....

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

That too! I asked for 3, the guy ORDERED 3, and the supplier sent... Two. Thanks Segrests, thanks.

16. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

ohhhh i see how it is jaysee. i can ship you my gw, but i can't find more for you? wt.....

about lfs's...i like my little one down the street. it's actually a small chain pet store....but they know me, and are willing to order me anything they can. which is more than i can say for the large aquarium store in my area. they whine and say...ohhhh we can't do special orders blah blah.

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aww, Poor Jers ;D

Sounds like Pet Supermarket lol They are usually pretty cool about stuff like that. They stopped carrying snails because they don't do well in their tanks long term, but if you go in there and ask for some, they'll order them for you, along with fish. I haven't tried ordering anything from PetSmart, what with the LFSs around lol

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

:love0007:

19. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

omg . you're hilaaaaarious jaysee :;bb

20. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

:;laughing