Why I Didn't Get Goldfish Funny

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MileyMorkie, Jul 7, 2019.

1. MileyMorkie

MileyMorkieValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +141
    Experience:
    Just started
    Long reason is I had zero knowledge or experience in the hobby when wanting some. We didn't want a large tank and I was about to cut 30 corners just to get goldfish.

Really it is more of I got lucky at a PetSmart and a staff member overheard mom and I talking about what supplies to get (supplies and setting the aquarium up was step one before the fish). He knew a lot about goldfish including saying the right facts (20 gallon and up rule for a goldfish) he even said we'll need to do 2 water changes a week. We walked out of there feeling like goldfish equal calculus.

That's why I chose guppies and bettas.
    The reason I wanted fish in the first place was a video I saw from Snake Discovery where they caught some invasive wild goldfish at somewhere. At one point Emily holds a goldfish that blubbed, I was sold to get a pet fish after seeing that blub.

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +476
    Experience:
    Just started
    Not sure why you would do 2 water changes a week, it should be normal water changes when they are small like 33%? When they get a bit bigger you could do like 50 - 66%. Not that much of a difference. If it is fancy you should be able to do like 2 - 3 if not like maybe just one like comets, commons, and etc. It really depends on the type you are getting.

3. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +141
    Experience:
    Just started
    This was like a few days before getting Iycho the betta (my first fish of the hobby). I had no clue what water changes were for the first 2 months of being an aquarium hobbyist. We only had my very old 1 gallon aquarium that I had 2 goldfish in when I was little. They I believe were calico Ryukins their names were Nemo (for the orange one) and Dorthy (fir the silver one). He said Mollies need a 30 gallon, and Balloon Bellies don't live as long as normal Platies and Mollies.

He did say Comet goldfish need much more space. I don't have goldfish still but I do have a navy of like 100 guppies, lol.

4. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +476
    Experience:
    Just started
    I see, I will agree with Balloons do not live as long because of deformities. But, my mollies seem to be fine in a 29 Gallon tank. The only reason they need the bigger tank is because of the mass bioload that the little tanks may not be able to handle.

5. OP
    OP
    MileyMorkie

Ratings:
    +141
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a 29 gallon too. I've kind of learned about bioload with my guppies and pest snails. I do think 29 gallons would be classified as 30 gallons when we round in to the nearest tens place.

I surprised I am not getting bashed for listening to a pet store staff for once, lol.