Why have my Cherry Barbs changed their behaviour?

Tazmiche

:-[ My 5 cb's ( had them 5 days, new set up as I have already posted) All has been well, lively swimmers until 8 hours ago. They stayed close to the bottom and hid in a group behind filter pump. They have been out for feeding time and have been out more since the lamp was switched off. Water had VERY slight ph raise but all else ok, even took sample to lfs to double check. Have done water change as advised but I am worried. I am aware that they can be shy etc. My dad saw them and asked me if they were laying! I have just looked in again, we believe that we have 2 male and 3 female. At the moment the girls and one male are in hiding, other male flitting about then hovering over the bottom wagging his tail very fast ,as low as possible in one place, then up and off to next spot! Do the sound normal, ill or just slightly nuts like the rest of my pets ( they are all quirky, I seem to attract oddballs!) HELP!!!

Isabella

Re: Why have my Cherry Barbs changed their behaviour?? AM WORRIED!!

Well, how long have you had these cherry barbs? And the usual question: What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings as of now? What is the tank's temperature? When you change the water, do you dechlorinate it? Did you acclimatize the cherry barbs before you put them in your tank?

Tazmiche

Just been watching them again before posting and at the moment they appear to be back to normal, however to answer you.

Yes use dechlorinate
Yes did acclimatize them
Temp 78f
ammonia 0
nitrate0
nitrite0

I really want to get this right but get that I need to give it time. We have water that furs up the kettle, not sure what that means, just thought i'd mention it.

As I say they are swimming about again, did I panic for nothing?

Stradius011

How long has the tank been set up? It could be that it'd didn't even start cycling.

Tazmiche

3 weeks, readings taken every other day and had lfs monitor. Have said on past posts that when I had goldfish I went to a larger store that I know realise didn't care about their 'stock' once out of tank, these guys are passionate and have told me that the welfare of their small stock is paramount and basically they are available 24/7 for advice/help. So far that seems to be the case and not just sales pitch! so i'm hoping I have done ok ???

Tazmiche

Latest news they are all active again. Am I an over protective mum? Hope that is the case. Will get couple more plants for them to hide in tomo  if all ok in morn. ALL COMMENTS WELCOME STILL! still very much learning! I must be mad expanding my minI zoo! I only have 3.5 hrs sleep left before a 12 hr shift ( not long in from work) been sitting up wI my barb's. Do you think my boss will understand when I turn in late if I explain my reason why?!?!?!? :-\ ??? ;D

Isabella

Tazmiche said:
Just been watching them  again before posting and at the moment they appear to be back to normal, however to answer you.

Yes use dechlorinate
Yes did acclimatize them
Temp 78f
ammonia 0
nitrate0
nitrite0

I really want to get this right but get that I need to give it time. We have water that furs up the kettle, not sure what that means, just thought i'd mention it.

As I say they are swimming about again, did I panic for nothing?
Well, your water quality is certainly excellent so it cannot be causing the problems. Besides, in your last message you say all seems to be well now. If you haven't had them very long, then maybe they're still trying to adjust to a new environment. I hope all will be fine

Considering that your water is very good, if they were sick, I guess the only possibility would be that they were not acclimatized properly and got sick this way, or that they were bought sick (and many diseases show up after a while, and are not apparent right away). BUT ... I think your fish are OK really

AlfaBetta

In my experience CBs are very sensitive to changing water conditions like pH, temp etc.

Tazmiche

they seem fine at mol bjut watching

Tazmiche

I wasn't concentrating when I typed last post as had just added White Cloud Minnows to tank! Cherry Barbs have come to life now they have buddies! I was worried about adding them even though I had been advised to but I am glad I did. So far they are all swimming together and no problems at feed time.

Isabella

Great! ;D

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom