Why Have All My Silver Dollars Dies Within 12 Hours

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Ben Stubbs-Bronson, Apr 19, 2018.

1. B

Ben Stubbs-Bronson New Member Member

I have a bio orb, i did a half water change as i normaly do but something obviously went very wrong. Within 1 hour 1 silver dollar had died, over the next 12 hours the other 5 all died. The only think i can think is the tap water must have been bad but how when it's tap water the same as i always use

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    B

No but i never have and ive had the silver dollars for 2 years

4. j

I'd say that you definitely should! There is fluctuations in whats in the water coming from your tap, and you just got hit with levels of something that your fish couldn't handle this one time. So dechlorinator every time will prevent it from happening again.

At least that is my best bet at what happened.

5. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Well Known Member Member

Aren't those bio orbs tiny?

6. OP
    OP
    B

Thats what i thought. I am left with 2 Angel fish and 1 of them is not looking good with a damaged dorsal fin and a missing side fin. I'm guessing the dollars battered it before they died :(

105L

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  7. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Well Known Member Member

Still way too small for silver dollars.

8. OP
    OP
    B

They were only tiny and would have been mooved to my larger tank in time

9. j

The one issue that arises with planning to move fish when they get too big, is that sometimes the limited space stunts their growth. This is a problem because their organ's growth doesn't get stunted.

10. OP
    OP
    B

I did not know that

11. j

Most people don't. And we are all just here trying to do right by our fish, and it's so unfortunate the information is hard to come by in this hobby.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice