Why has my bolivian ram cichlids stop mating?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by tenshichan82, Jul 29, 2015.

1. t

tenshichan82 Valued Member Member

Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out why my bolivian pair has stop mating and laying eggs. They mated for the first time and laid their first group of eggs on June 1st. The eggs did not make it to the hatching stage.

I have read that I could expect them to lay eggs every 3 weeks or so now that they had started, but I have yet to see another round of mating or eggs. I have seen the male initiate but nothing has come of it.

Nothing has changed in the tank. No new tank mates or any type of harrasement. The water perimeters are the same as when they mated before.

Temp 80
    Nitrates between 10 and 20
    Nitrites 0
    Ammonia 0
    PH 7.4

I'm not particularly looking to have babies but was just curious as to why they haven't seemed to even try since their one and only time at it. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. biller

biller Well Known Member Member

What is your water changing schedule?

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    t

Usually a 50% wc every 2-3 weeks, so at the very least twice a month

4. biller

Let the tank "foul" and let your tank water evaporate 20% of the water. After that do a large water change and the simulates the rainy season. They should lay after a few days

By foul I mean let it build up on nitrate, don't do any water changes until 20% of the water has evaporated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    t

Interesting I always thought they have they have pristine water conditions in order to lay eggs

Last time when my tank was high on nitrates like in the 80 range I did a series of water changes for 3 or 4 days straight and after the levels were down that's when they mated

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  6. biller

Bad water conditions clearing up simulates the rainy season. If you have sensitive fish, or a over stocked tank, I would not recommend doing this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice