Why Fry ?

PitConvict

I often wonder why people continually elect to get a mated pair of convicts or mix the genders in the same tank without thinking about the 2nd phase of the matter in which you will then be forced to make harsh decisions about what to do with the hundreds of fry all within your tank. I can understand the excitement of watching a mated pair mate, deliver and defend but at what cost?

The truth is most of the fry will be used for feeders or get eaten by the other fish in the tank or get dished off to friends and family that don't know how to care for them in the first place.

Hate to say it but I find the matter a bit disappointing and frankly irresponsible.

dwc13

So aquarists should forsake the opportunity to observe nature in action because things you deem undesirable outcomes *might* happen to majority of fry down the road? Hmmm...I don't agree. Is it reasonable to expect the laws of nature (including survival of the fittest, predation, reproduction) to be suspended just because it's an aquarium environment?

MacZ

dwc13 said:
So aquarists should forsake the opportunity to observe nature in action because things you deem undesirable outcomes *might* happen to majority of fry down the road? Hmmm...I don't agree. Is it reasonable to expect the laws of nature (including survival of the fittest, predation, reproduction) to be suspended just because it's an aquarium environment?
I beg to differ, though likely due to other motivation than the OP. It's reasonable to think about what to do with fry.
Many people breed (well, better call it letting the fish reproduce) and don't think about where to put the fry and where to house them.
In my country it's not allowed to use any fish that are not explicitly bred for the purpose as feeders, culling is also not allowed by law if the offspring are viable though having undesirable traits. For many of the species I named this has led to the local markets being overwhelmed by hundreds of unintentionally bred fish, that nobody really wants but that nobody can make disappear either.
It leads to problems on the long run. People are responsible for the animals in captive care and you see cases here on the forum regularly where people try and safe fish that wouldn't make it in nature just to find they don't know where to put them when they have grown.
In so far it would actually often be better to prevent reproduction unless people have the means to house the fish appropriately until they can be sold or given away.

Fritzcrackerz

My LFS takes all my 2cm fry in exchange for vouchers or free food. I have saved enough over the years to have four tank systems out of them and the hobby costs me nothing now. They see it as good business sense as they get good fish to sell on, knowing the source is reputable, and they actually make a shed load of money out of me.

MacZ

Fritzcrackerz said:
My LFS takes all my 2cm fry in exchange for vouchers or free food. I have saved enough over the years to have four tank systems out of them and the hobby costs me nothing now. They see it as good business sense as they get good fish to sell on, knowing the source is reputable, and they actually make a shed load of money out of me.
Congratulations, you are the exception. (And I mean it, glad you are in that position, I was too in the 90s. Many hobbyists never get to that point nowerdays.)

smee82

MacZ said:
In my country it's not allowed to use any fish that are not explicitly bred for the purpose as feeders,
Another example of a stupid law governments force upon us. Whats the difference with guppies or any other fish you breed specifically as feeders and those born in a random hobbyists tank.

MacZ

smee82 said:
Whats the difference with guppies or any other fish you breed specifically as feeders and those born in a random hobbyists tank.
Simple: Quality control. The feeder fish breeder or retailer can be made responsible in case the feeders contract and spread any diseases.
The random hobbyist can not be made responsible, because they wouldn't be allowed to sell them as feeders without permit. So whoever buys and uses them as such is responsible for their own losses.

It's the same as with glutaraldehyde as algaecide. It is sold as a fertilizer, so anyone who does damage to their tanks using it as algaecide can not make the company responsible due to not using it as intended.

I wouldn't bash on law-making like this without thinking it through.

smee82

MacZ said:
Simple: Quality control. The feeder fish breeder or retailer can be made responsible in case the feeders contract and spread any diseases.
The random hobbyist can not be made responsible, because they wouldn't be allowed to sell them as feeders without permit. So whoever buys and uses them as such is responsible for their own losses.

It's the same as with glutaraldehyde as algaecide. It is sold as a fertilizer, so anyone who does damage to their tanks using it as algaecide can not make the company responsible due to not using it as intended.

I wouldn't bash on law-making like this without thinking it through.
So the laws are to protect you from being sold diseased fish as feeders from hobbyists but you can be sold diseased fish as a pet.

MacZ

They are to protect from bad quality (in this case diseased) feeders from professionals. Same goes for fish you buy as a pet from a professional source. They have to give you replacement or credit. Often people neither know nor care, though.

Buying private from hobbyists is still at your own risk. Nobody is prohibiting doing things at your own risk, but you can't come crying to the court about a mistake that's on your own responsibility.

PitConvict

dwc13 said:
How about the idea of exercising responsibility and showing respect for life and avoiding the senseless waste of it? I am not clear on your application of the Laws of Nature; an aquarium is a controlled environment.... whatever happens in the rivers and streams of Costa Rica for these cichlids would in fact fall under that pretense.
MacZ said:
You could ask the same about guppies, platies, bristlenose plecos, shelldwellers, Apistogramma borellii dozens of other easy to breed species.
Fritzcrackerz said:
Glad to hear of this. Guessing not too many people have these kinds of readily available options. Convict Fry are not terribly valuable.

Latest threads

Top Bottom