Why Don't They Make Huge Hang On Backs With Double, Triple Or More Bio Space?

rainbowsprinkles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think that would be the same idea as a sump?

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Homeslice, it looks like you overfed your HOB from the looks of your pic. Also the HOB will take valuable real estate in the back of your tank (as you've already seen). I can show you pics of how I have my HOB's setup that are not swollen like in the pic shown. I have 3 HOB's the largest is a Marineland Penguin 350 and it looks nothing like you posted. i have lava rocks, filter pads and poly-fill in every filter ( including canisters), yes i have both.

Either you're expecting too much from your HOB, or you misunderstood how an HOB works (aside from the space behind it).

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
They make what are called 'spill filters' that go on top of tank and are wet dry systems you can stack pretty high.

Water is pumped from tank to top of filter and gravity does the rest ..

Hahaha, thanks coralbandit - one of those (also called wet-dry and drip filters I believe) was actually my first DIY project - running as we speak. SIDE QUESTION - I just added those little pieces of filter floss over the intake plane on those pumps - might that hurt them? I just worried about debris getting stuck in the impeller or what not. But I think I read that restricting flow out of the pumps, but not into them, was ok. Thanks!

GIhNcm2.jpg

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Denitrifying bacteria aside, your tank capacity is not so much related to the amount of media you have, but the amount of bacteria. If the bacteria have all the surface area they need in a small hob reservoir, adding more media won’t give more bacteria. It might, arguably, give better resilience (resistance to disturbace), but that would be hard to quantify.
By the time you’ve expanded your hob to the point it houses all that extra media, and accommodates nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, you’ve practically built yourself a sump. So why not go all the way, and do that instead?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
profits, if you want more space for bio media, you'll have to buy a second or even a third hob, $$$$

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Skavatar said:
profits, if you want more space for bio media, you'll have to buy a second or even a third hob, $$$$

Haha that is probably the right answer. Although, made of questoin here - if I have 2 HOB filters that weigh, combined, X, as compared to a single HOB filter that also weights X, should that not put just as much pressure on the lip of the tank? Maybe putting it mostly in one place is a bad thing?

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Keep it all internal with a corner-matten filter, made of 3" thick poret foam.

If you want, in the void space behind the foam wall, throw some bags of your favorite bio-media in there.

No HOB's, hoses, canisters, etc to deal with.

Just a jetlifter w/ air pump or a pump/powerhead to plug into the wall.

There is your next DIY project.....

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
poly fill, 1 week's worth of gunk
full.jpg

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Islandvic said:
Keep it all internal with a corner-matten filter, made of 3" thick poret foam.

If you want, in the void space behind the foam wall, throw some bags of your favorite bio-media in there.

No HOB's, hoses, canisters, etc to deal with.

Just a jetlifter w/ air pump or a pump/powerhead to plug into the wall.

There is your next DIY project.....

Haha I will have to think about this one.

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Homeslice said:
Haha that is probably the right answer. Although, made of questoin here - if I have 2 HOB filters that weigh, combined, X, as compared to a single HOB filter that also weights X, should that not put just as much pressure on the lip of the tank? Maybe putting it mostly in one place is a bad thing?
No that is not correct. Weight is not the only factor for stress and deflection.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bitseriously said:
Denitrifying bacteria aside, your tank capacity is not so much related to the amount of media you have, but the amount of bacteria. If the bacteria have all the surface area they need in a small hob reservoir, adding more media won’t give more bacteria. It might, arguably, give better resilience (resistance to disturbace), but that would be hard to quantify.
By the time you’ve expanded your hob to the point it houses all that extra media, and accommodates nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, you’ve practically built yourself a sump. So why not go all the way, and do that instead?
This. Sorta of like deminishing returns. The more media won't give you more bacteria, especially if you already have enough. I would think higher flow would be more important. The faster and more water goes through the media, the better.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Homeslice said:
Haha. Those just seem different though. Think about it, if you get enough bio media in that HOB, you might even get some denitrification going as the aerobic bacteria strip the oxygen away from the water before the water gets to the denitrifying bacteria. There can be some layers deep in that huge HOB where water flow is slow and dentification goes on!

But even if not, would would seem the more media, the (potentially much more) water you have touching media at any one second, so it should permit a corresponding increase in the fish load you can have in the aquarium (some losses of course)!
Why don't you make a filter that's an HOE (hang on end) lol? You could make that any size you want and shove that ol' aquarium right up smack against the wall! You'd have to hack down your glass cover to accommodate its position on the end but a glass cutter would help you with that!:emoji_nerd:

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
And remember your bacteria only grows to what it needs. Bacteria can live on 25% of your media or 75% of your media with the same amount of media. Just don't want real fast flow as the water will just flow right through your media and not adhere to it. It’s always better to have less water flow over your media than more so the water stays in contact with the media longer for your bacteria and still keeps good movement in your tank.

Mike_Syr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe Clear For Life aquariums come with a filter built into the back of the aquarium. All the way across. They are expensive. I would think a homemade lexan or plexiglass could be made to the width of your aquarium. With partitions to direct water flow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom