why does my water smell, "fishy?"

1. uncclewis

uncclewis Well Known Member Member

Hello ALL!

I have a question, why does my aquarium water smell quite fishy? Is that because of dead fish? I just did a gravel vacuum and noticed it...

I gravel vacuumed 20% of it and that involved doing a 50% water change.

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

What size is the tank? Do you have a filter? What are the parameters of the tank?

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

It could be decaying/rotting matter, especially when you are stirring it up at gravel vacuum time.

If you have removed all the debris and you still smell it, I would suggest using carbon in your filters.

4. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

I vacuumed for the first time in about a month, I only got the very top of the stuff for the most part because there are plants there. There was still a lot and in the process I saw a lot of baby shrimplets go out the drain too :( Yes it still stunk after that! I was using purigen, but I was medicating so I stopped... I am not sure how much of it was baby shrimp and eggs, etc lol. But a lot was poop- I'm sure.

Actually it still stinks like fishy-fish-fish... when I hovered over the water. phew, heh

73 gallons, I am using denitrate reactors along with a fluval fx6 and a hydor professional 600.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Well it sounds like maybe you need to gravel clean 2 times a month instead of one to see if that helps. It should never smell "fishy" but more of an "earthy" smell.

6. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Is it from hydrogen sulfide and if so, should I worry about it killing them? It seems more fishy than like seachem prime.

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

That would be a rotten egg smell not a fish smell.

8. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Ok. Would my dosing of excel or flourish cause this? This is the first time its ever stunk. But my canisters have stunk before

9. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Flourish doesn't cause it and I don't remember smelling it when we were using excel.

10. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Oh. Ok. Thank you!: ) ill try not feeding my fish for a few days too. I always just feel bad.

11. OP
    OP
    uncclewis

Ok. So it resolved itself once I did a series of very heavy water changes, canister filter cleanings, and gravel vacuum... But in the process of this, one loach didn't make it. :(
    Rip little loach.

he got a huge belly and couldn't swim right, then died