5 Gallon Tank Why does my ph keep going up?

jaderenee1021

So I've been trying to gradually lower my ph in my tank by adding API ph down once a day and it seemed to be working until I noticed that it went back up today from between 7.4 and 7.6 to like 8.2. I put some more ph down in there to get it to 7.6 again but at this rate, it will rise 2 steps forward each time and I don't want to add too much ph down in a day because the label warned about decreasing it by .2 in 24 hours. I shouldn't have any coral substrate the substrate package says that it does not affect the ph and I also have an Indian almond leaf in there. Ideally, I want my tank at 7 but it's always been over even when my tap ph is around 7. So why does my ph keep rising? Should I keep bothering with it? My ph has always been around 8 and my betta fish has been fine I think he's used to it by now but still, preferably I want it at 7 for him.

yuukqo

If your betta has adapted I don't think it's necessary to change the pH, I've heard using chemicals opposed to things liked driftwood/indian almond leaves can be dangerous for fish. It's more dangerous when it comes to fluctuating pH than a higher pH, if your fish is used to it. Still though, I'm cycling a 30 gallon and last month the pH of my well water was 7.2 now it's 8.2. No idea what's happening either

Upvote 0

jaderenee1021

If your betta has adapted I don't think it's necessary to change the pH, I've heard using chemicals opposed to things liked driftwood/indian almond leaves can be dangerous for fish. It's more dangerous when it comes to fluctuating pH than a higher pH, if your fish is used to it. Still though, I'm cycling a 30 gallon and last month the pH of my well water was 7.2 now it's 8.2. No idea what's happening either

yeah I heard that a fluctuating ph could be worse too

Upvote 0

Dechi

It’s very hard to do decent PH management with chemicals. If you want to permanently and naturally lower your PH, put driftwood in your tank or see if you can put peat moss in your filter.

If not, I would stop using whatever you’re using to lower it. It’s worse for a fish to have to deal with constant PH changes than living with a higher PH.

Upvote 0

jaderenee1021

It’s very hard to do decent PH management with chemicals. If you want to permanently and naturally lower your PH, put driftwood in your tank or see if you can put peat moss in your filter.

If not, I would stop using whatever you’re using to lower it. It’s worse for a fish to have to deal with constant PH changes than living with a higher PH.

Alright, thank you!

Upvote 0

Mandarabe

Did you do a water top-up or change? I find that if my ph jumps it’s because I forgot to adjust the new water before adding it in...
Do you have any rocks in as decoration? Some of the ones you can buy are originally from seawater so may be leaching natural salts or chemicals that push up the ph as well.

Upvote 0

jaderenee1021

Did you do a water top-up or change? I find that if my ph jumps it’s because I forgot to adjust the new water before adding it in...

I do a 40% water change once a week and this week I did actually decided to lower the ph of the water before I added it but it still got back up to around 8

I usually don't mess with the ph of my tap before I add it

Upvote 0

Islandvic

Fish generally prefer to have a stable pH, versus a pH that is closer to their native pH but fluctuates up and down.

My water is a steady 7.8pH and it's naturally buffered. I don't attempt to adjust the pH at all, even though I keep CA/SA cichlids for example.

Check out these videos about pH amd water hardness from Jason, the host of the Prime Time Aquatics channel on YouTube. He is one of the few fish hobby channels I actually subscribe to. He is also a biology professor and a breeder, so he knows a bit more than the average

Upvote 0

jaderenee1021

Fish generally prefer to have a stable pH, versus a pH that is closer to their native pH but fluctuates up and down.

My water is a steady 7.8pH and it's naturally buffered. I don't attempt to adjust the pH at all, even though I keep CA/SA cichlids for example.

Check out these videos about pH amd water hardness from Jason, the host of the Prime Time Aquatics channel on YouTube. He is one of the few fish hobby channels I actually subscribe to. He is also a biology professor and a breeder, so he knows a bit more than the average

Awesome! Thank you!

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I will agree with most of the replies above. Don't mess with your pH. I have a wide variety of fish and invertebrates thriving in 8.2 pH water.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
  • MBK
  • pH
Replies
Views
Zach72202
  • Question