Why Does My New Tank With My Cycled Filter Have 0 Ppm Of Nitrate? And A Ph Problem Help

1. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

It's a 10 gallon tank with 3 adult male guppies in it. The guppies, the filter, a little less than half of the gravel, the Cryptocoryne Wendtii, the heater, the seaweed clip, and two decorations that are all in the 10 gallon were in the previous tank, a 5.5 gallon. There's a big new decoration in there and a new thermometer, too.

The fish are swimming a little more slowly.

The most recent API Freshwater Master Test Kit results:
    7/1/17
    Nitrate 5 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Ammonia about 0 ppm
    High range pH 7.9-8.0

7/10/17
    Nitrate 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    High range pH less than 7.4?
    pH 7.6

Am I going to have to go through a cycle again? And should I add more crushed coral to the filter for the pH? I put two tablespoons of crushed coral in there a few weeks ago. I think it's time to replace some of the coral anyway. Is that right? If so, how much of the original crushed coral should I replace?

2. fishfanatic15 Member Member

have you done a water change since 7/1/17? That is the only way I can think of that your nitrates would just disappear. Normally tanks go through a "mini cycle" because of upgrading the tank volume. I don't really know about the crushed coral... sorry! I hope someone else chimes in

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Your nitrate reading was low in the previous reading so I wouldn't be too concerned. You also want to bang nitrate bottle #2 really hard and shake it really well before testing. Sometimes it gives you a false reading if you don't.

If you only put in the coral a few weeks ago, you don't need to replace it so quickly. It dissolves slowly and lasts a long time. Do you know your KH out of the tap and tank? Can you also test your pH out of your tap? Measuring your KH would be a good indicator of how stable your pH is.

Also, I don't think you would need to cycle again since you aren't showing any ammonia/nitrite.

4. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Now that you mention it, I just remembered that when I moved them to a new tank, I gave them almost all new water (a little old water got poured in with the old gravel). But I had no idea ALL of the nitrates would be in the water. I figured some would be attached to the stuff in the tank.

How long does a mini cycle usually last?

I forgot to mention that it's a filter that was built for 10 gallon tanks.

I always bang Nitrate #2 against a hard surface, but I'll try doing it harder next time.

I don't know my tap's KH or pH or my tank's current KH. I'll find out at least my tank's KH tomorrow, and will find out the stuff about the tap tomorrow or another day that's coming up soon.

I really hope I won't have to cycle this one. I don't want my fish to be in a fish-in cycle and I don't have another cycled tank to put them in, and I'm already cycling the tank where I work.

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

You are very likely still cycled. Just keep an eye on things to make sure. Good luck!

6. fishfanatic15 Member Member

yeah, I would just continue to test every day or every other day to make sure you don't get a mini cycle. I would also recommend testing your KH like el337 said

7. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

, I forgot to test my KH. Oh well, I don't have any test tubes ready anyway. I'll have to do it tomorrow (7/12).