why does my fish have ich?

1. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

well i know the water is clean cause all the other fish from the same tank was fine and the fish was from another tank which also was fine.... then when i transfer the fish over it started to have ich.... is there something in the water thats getting my fish sick or something and how come none of my other fish didnt get it? only this one....

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

We need some more details Bryan.

Temp - what did the fish go from and into?
    pH - what did the fish go from and into?
    Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate levels?
    Did you acclimate the fish to the new tank? If so, how and how-long?

Ich is usually a sign of water quality, but can also be stress related.

You can try increasing the temperature in the tank - there's plenty of topics (and a sticky I believe) for treating ICH.

edit: Here's the link https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/105665-curing-ich-naturally.html

3. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

the temp is around 78-80 on both tanks...
    ph is around 7.4-7.6 on both tanks
    A/N/N is all around 0-1 on both tanks
    also acclimate the fish in the new tank for 30 mins

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Most fish get ich because they are stressed for some reason or the water parameters are poor. It looks like your water parameters are good. Is there anything at all that your fish could be going through: is he sick in some other manner, is he being bullied, maybe the tank change? Maybe it is just an old fashioned case of the ich.;:barfAnd be prepared for your other fish to possibly come down with the ich.

5. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

all my fish are fine... maybe its just the fish? i'm not sure but what i do know is that the fish is clamping up tho and slowly stop eating less and less every day

i'm scared that it will die soon... is there any way to get rid of it with out meds or is it better to go with meds on a weak fish?

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I am not an expert on fish illness, but clamping is not a sign of ich, it is a sign of other illnesses. I have had a lot of fish get ich and they continue to east and act normally. Sometimes they will rub on the rocks like they are itching themselves. It sounds like your fish is sick and needs to be quarenteened so if whatever he has if contageous doesn't spread. If one fish gets ich though the spores are in your tank and you may have another occurence of it later. Have you treated your fish with anything yet.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

You stated your parameters were 0-1. If you have any measurable ammonia or nitrite your tank is still cycling. Also, unless you have many plants a cycled tank will have much more nitrate.

This type of environment causes stress. And stress causes disease.

I would work on stabilizing the tank. A clean environment will help the fish heal. Also raise the temp to 86f and keep it heated, even with the new water.

8. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

the fish does rub on rocks drift wood and anything it can ich of off... the water parameter should be 0 now and there are some plants but not alot... idk if that would help... and for the clamp fins... i think the fish has been in this sickness for a while... i will tank it to a hospital tank and let it sit by it self....

what i have done so far is raise the temp to around 84-86F and added API aquarium salt... i dont know what else to do besides meds but i heard thats not a good way to go with

9. iRun Member Member

Just curious...are you actually seeing the white specks on the fish, or is it just clamping etc? I started a new tank a while ago, and once it cycled I added my first batch of fish (no quarantine cuz I roll reckless like that hahaha) Ich started about 4-5 days later, little white specks almost like grains of salt showing up on several but not all. I just cranked up the heat to 88 for like 10 days. All lived and no ich since then.

10. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

i see white salt like on the fish and its clampping and sitting on the floor or on something

11. iRun Member Member

Heat and salt bro. I'm not sure the really sick one will make it. But the tank has ich in it now, so you gotta get on it to save the rest. Even if they arent showing signs, the parasites are in the tank. My tank is heavily planted so I couldn't do the salt, I just heated it up as high as I could which turned out to be 88. I did it for ten days.

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Wait... what kinda fish? lol. I wont say salt and heat until i know who im prescribing that too. At the very least, a nice gentle ich med like kordon brand or something along those lines. Clamping is a sign of just about anything, tis be what they do when their stressed, bottom line. So yes, ich would stress the fish.

13. iRun Member Member

Holy frijoles, you're right!!! Salt will kill some fish! But so will ich, so maybe just the heat, or meds.

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

As this is a planted tank, salt is out. Heat with extra water changes are all that's needed to rid a tank of ich. Meds can kill plants and inverts.

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

15. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

ok will do catsma...

they are demasoni cichlids and the tank is planted but not to heavy... also salt would kill plants? or just some? didnt know that... so far my plants are doing fine i do have some salt in the tank tho... and i have turn on the heat and added salt to the tank...

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I see in your Aquarium Profile Information that 2 of your tanks were recently started as of 3/20/12. I have to question if they are cycled. If not, then your fish may be suffering from Ammonia Poisoning, causing the clamped fins/stress on the fish.

Too, moving your fish from tank to tank, are the water temperatures in each tank the same? Sudden temperature changes can lead to stress and ICH also.

My ICH treatment below with 100% survival rate:

Increase the tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for a full two week period. Even if the fish appear to be free of the parasite, leave the temperature increased for the full two weeks. Raise the temperature slowly throughout the day. 2 degrees per hour should be fine.

Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line may help.

Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Make sure the new water is the same (86) temperature as what is in the tank.

Adding Garlic Guard or garlic juice onto the fish food 2 or 3 times each week will help to boost the fishes immune system. (link below for garlic juice):
    minced garlic in a jar..just an example for those needing it
    Garlic Guard:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/198657/product.web
    Making your own juice, recipe:
    "Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
    Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
    The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:
    GoldFish Emergency 911

Vita Chem (for additional vitamins) added to the fish food and directly into the tank will help the fishes overall health. Follow the directions on the bottle.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/196391/product.web

It's been my experience that salt isn't necessary with the heat treatment.

I highly recommend Quarantine for all new fish:
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken