Why Does My Cycling Tank Have Detectable Levels Of Ammonia, Nitrite, And Nitrates?

pcd0925

Hi!
I am using the API test kit, and whenever I measure my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates it always shows up as readable, I am using RO water and my saltwater, and my saltwater always shows up as having all 3 while my RO has none.

stella1979

Remind me... don't you have rocks in your tank? Rocks can leach ammonia, which in a cycling tank should start converting into readable nitrites and nitrates.

TwoHedWlf

Hi!
I am using the API test kit, and whenever I measure my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates it always shows up as readable, I am using RO water and my saltwater, and my saltwater always shows up as having all 3 while my RO has none.

Because it's cycling, not cycled?

pcd0925

Remind me... don't you have rocks in your tank? Rocks can leach ammonia, which in a cycling tank should start converting into readable nitrites and nitrates.
Yeah ive got rocks, I was stupid and thought that if I had nitrites I shouldn't have ammonia, my bad.

stella1979

Not stupid. You're just still converting ammonia, but you're cycle is still in the early stages.

Jesterrace

Yup, it's all part of the early cycling conversion process. I don't even bother testing the first week, I just leave it alone and then start testing the second week.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AQUA_LOVER
Replies
Views
freshandsalt
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views