Why Does My Betta Have Sbd?

Repolie

Ok I would normally know what I'm doing with my bettas, but my female betta is confusing me. So I would normally feed her, her Bug Bites Betta Formula soaked in some tank water and feed a little extra and she had no problems digesting it. But she would have these episodes where she would get SBD when I fed her the normal amount of what I normally fed her (about the size of both her eyes) when she had no problems for about a month. So I thought I was overfeeding her and dropped the amount I fed to only once a day and fed the size of an eye. So I now only feed her once a day. I fed frozen foods for 4 days alternating between Bloodworms and Spirulina Brine Shrimp and fed her a little extra with no problems.

The day after that I fed Grindal worms and still no problems. But last night I tried feeding her the soaked Bug Bites less than the size of her eye but then she had SBD. I noticed that when I fed her any dried soaked foods, she would get SBD within a few minutes and when I fed her any frozen or live foods, she has no problems.

In short: When underfed any soaked dried foods, she gets bloated and has SBD. It disappears in a few hours and she's no longer bloated or has SBD. No poop though.

Her Living Conditions:
-Half filled 1.5 gallon bare bottom tank
-Heated to 78°
-Not filtered, but daily water changes to keep ammonia at 0

1. Why is it whenever I underfeed soaked dry foods, she still gets bloated?

2. When I overfeed frozen foods, why doesn't this have the same effect?

3. It's painful to watch her episodes and you shouldn't just feed frozen foods as a staple diet because it isn't healthy, but should I just keep her on a diet of frozen Bloodworms, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Grindal worms?

I've attached pictures of her episode from last night.

Attachments

• P_20180921_194623.jpg
    P_20180921_194623.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P_20180921_194639.jpg
    P_20180921_194639.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P_20180921_194657.jpg
    P_20180921_194657.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 58

Iverg1

Lol if you don't know I wouldn't know. But I'm going to guess because it is only happening when you feed her dry food it is some how expanding in her????? Because this doesn't happen when you feed her frozen food.

Repolie

Lol if you don't know I wouldn't know. But I'm going to guess because it is only happening when you feed her dry food it is some how expanding in her????? Because this doesn't happen when you feed her frozen food.
I always soak the dry foods before feeding though...

Fanatic

I know that sometimes a betta is more sensitive and has issues when it comes to food digestion, even if it appears they are digesting.
If the condition goes away after feedings, then it isn't truly SBD.
Personally, when a betta has bloating issues, I advise you to try peas, and others say daphnia speeds up digestion.

Epsom salt works for severe bloating, but I really don't see the need for it here.
May I ask why you don't have a filter, and have her in such a small tank?

Repolie

I know that sometimes a betta is more sensitive and has issues when it comes to food digestion, even if it appears they are digesting.
If the condition goes away after feedings, then it isn't truly SBD.
Personally, when a betta has bloating issues, I advise you to try peas, and others say daphnia speeds up digestion.

Epsom salt works for severe bloating, but I really don't see the need for it here.
May I ask why you don't have a filter, and have her in such a small tank?
I can't really stick a filter in a tank this small and this is my hospital tank for all my bettas. She couldn't swim down, so I lowered the water level to the plants where she could wedge herself in between them.

Fanatic

I can't really stick a filter in a tank this small and this is my hospital tank for all my bettas. She couldn't swim down, so I lowered the water level to the plants where she would wedge herself in between them.

Oh, understandable.

Repolie

Well I'm just going to guess that she's somehow now become gluten intolerant to the dry foods. Can I just keep her on a diet of frozen Bloodworms, frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Grindal Worms?

Iverg1

Maybe you could try different foods?

Repolie

Well I'm now pretty sure she's gluten intolerant because I remembered I also fed another brand of soaked pellet I had and she also got SBD from that. Not able to eat processed foods cuts out a lot of food options. The other last frozen food option in my area is frozen Mysis Shrimp which I could try and there's also freezed dried foods too, but I don't like using them because of the risk of constipation and other complications.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
ChitaBetta
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question
Replies