Why Does My Assassin Snail Have Snail Eggs On His Shell? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by The Hun (Betta Girl), Jun 20, 2018.

1. The Hun (Betta Girl)

The Hun (Betta Girl) New Member Member

I pulled my assassin snail out of one of my tanks today to put him in my little pond and I saw eggs, two maybe three, on his shell! How'd they get there? Maybe they're not eggs? He's not in with any other snails... I don't think. He hitched a ride on a piece of driftwood and almost got my mystery snails! Jerk. But it's not his fault, so I'm trying to do right by him, lol.

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It’s probably other snail eggs. Maybe even nerite snails since they like to lay eggs everywhere they go. Can you post a picture of it?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    The Hun (Betta Girl)

Yes, just a minute!

Here are the images. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like a nerite egg to me.
    Is that a dead assassin?

5. OP
    OP
    The Hun (Betta Girl)

No he's alive. He's weird. He never comes out unless he's eating. I took him pour of the tank with my betta because there was aquarium salt in with them. Why do you ask if he's dead?

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I ask because I'm trying to figure out how a nerite snail could lay an egg on top of him. Lol

And I couldn't really see his "door" in the photos.

7. OP
    OP
    The Hun (Betta Girl)

Oh very true! He's a shy guy. And I believe you're probably right about the nerite. I do have one and they were together at one point. Thanks so much for the help! :)

8. S

Sina-key Well Known Member Member

Assassins usually rest under substrate time to time sometimes parts of their shell left out of the substrate and probably a nerite snail lay eggs on it without knowing. Also it could be assassin snail egg does it have the cubic shape??

9. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

This happens to my mystery snail, he looks like he was bedazzled, which is weird because he's definitely faster than a nerite

10. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

The assassins will only eat mysteries smaller than a dime. If your mysteries are bigger just throw in a shrimp pellet for him twice a week and he’ll be fine

11. OP
    OP
    The Hun (Betta Girl)

Oh thank you! I was really worried.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice