Why does my Amazon sword suck?

elisa001

Reaction score
Hi guys I am new to planted tanks and was looking for a lost cost planted tank when I set up my 10 gallon. It has a cheap (like 20$) light on a 12 hour timer. I have eco complete plant substrate with root tabs. The tank has Anubias that are doing great and java fern that are ok. When I set up the tank I didn’t know anything and put SO MANY root tabs and so I have an algae problem.

I had 1 Amazon sword that I put in like 4 months ago. It hasn’t died but it has shrunk in size. It sprouts tiny new leaves all the time but they don’t get that big and die off fast. The leaves are very fragile and slimy I am considering just throwing the plant and getting another Anubias. What can I do to help the Amazon sword?

Attachments

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
elisa001 said:
Hi guys I am new to planted tanks and was looking for a lost cost planted tank when I set up my 10 gallon. It has a cheap (like 20$) light on a 12 hour timer. I have eco complete plant substrate with root tabs. The tank has Anubias that are doing great and java fern that are ok. When I set up the tank I didn’t know anything and put SO MANY root tabs and so I have an algae problem.

I had 1 Amazon sword that I put in like 4 months ago. It hasn’t died but it has shrunk in size. It sprouts tiny new leaves all the time but they don’t get that big and die off fast. The leaves are very fragile and slimy I am considering just throwing the plant and getting another Anubias. What can I do to help the Amazon sword?
I personally think you have so many nutrients in the water, but the light is not strong enough which is causing your algae. However, I don't know that for sure as you need to state how long lights are on too. Leaves will be slimy with the algae on them. Your sword is lacking something or else it would grow better. Since anubias grow for you, I would say you have too low of lighting. Hopefully others can chime in and add to what I think. Good luck!!

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would recommend giving your tank a good scrape of the algae and then a gravel vac. Trim off any dead/dying plant leaves. Do a 50% water change and give the sword two weeks.

OP
E

elisa001

Reaction score
Johnb114 said:
I would recommend giving your tank a good scrape of the algae and then a gravel vac. Trim off any dead/dying plant leaves. Do a 50% water change and give the sword two weeks.
I scrub the tank completely, clean gravel, and preform about a 40% change 2x a week.

OP
E

elisa001

Reaction score
Pwilly07 said:
I personally think you have so many nutrients in the water, but the light is not strong enough which is causing your algae. However, I don't know that for sure as you need to state how long lights are on too. Leaves will be slimy with the algae on them. Your sword is lacking something or else it would grow better. Since anubias grow for you, I would say you have too low of lighting. Hopefully others can chime in and add to what I think. Good luck!!

OP
E

elisa001

Reaction score
Tbh I think it is just not a good light. It is on full brightness for 12 hours and then it dims a lot (moonlight setting) for the next 12 hours. At this point I think I am just going to replace it with more Anubias.

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Moonlight settings tend to be blue light which can induce algae. Try not using the moonlight setting at all for two weeks.

If you are having to scrape that much algae twice a week I would start there

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
12 hours is really long, too long, and too much light induces algae. At the same time, light that is not intense enough isn't super great for plant growth. Note that time period and intensity are totally different and one cannot make up for the other. Weak lights left on for too long simultaneously allow algae to grow, while not being enough for plants. Cut lighting to 7 hours for now.

You don't need to do so much cleaning, planted substrates should be left alone. When water changing wave your hand above it to stir up debris, and then siphon that up.

What brand of root tab did you use?
What are your typical ammonia and nitrate levels?
What's the light?
Johnb114 said:
Moonlight settings tend to be blue light which can induce algae. Try not using the moonlight setting at all for two weeks.

If you are having to scrape that much algae twice a week I would start there
Blue light does not induce algae

New Threads