Why do you think my Betta stops glass surfing?

Ewok2009

I've owned my Betta around 4-months, its obvious he has a glass surfing issue, we've been trying to pinpoint the reason. From dusk till dawn you'll usually find him pacing the front of the tank. I'm using a 6.5-gallon tank, the filter outtake has a pre-filter sponge over it to prevent strong current. The tank is cycled/heated and water parameters are fine.

Due to the heat in Australia currently we added a small fan which does two things.

1) Cools the tank extremely well, lowers the temps from 84f - 80f quite easily.

2) Creates a lot more surface agitation than usual which increases oxygen in the water.

You can see the fan being used here:

Whenever we add the fan my Betta stops surfing and behaves like a different fish, swims around the fan, beneath it, loves that thing, explores his tank constantly like a completely new fish. Take it away, within 6-12-hours he's back to surfing. Personally, I don't think at this stage its temp related because we've come out of cooler whether previously but I'm open to that thought. I'm leaning more towards the water having more oxygen but this doesn't really make sense from a Betta fish viewpoint.

Why do you think he stops surfing when using the fan?

And don't worry, we're working on an alternative lid with meshing for when the fan is in use.

Jeffsglo

Hello, The first thought was the temp, 2nd the movement in the water. Might try a bubble stone? But in all cases he likes swimming with the fan. And like playing in front of the tank. My fish sometimes like to go up and down the glass. I consider them playing and happy.

prasunchoudhari

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
thatfishlover122
Replies
Views
Melina1020
Replies
Views
Sen