Why do you love your pleco?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've never liked the way they look, personally. But they seem to be a pretty popular fish. I had really wanted cory's as my "clean up crew" but I was reading on anther thread about gravel wearing their barbels down. So I got to thinking about a bn pleco. Why do u like your pleco? Convince me to want one for my 46

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, corries don't eat algae and most plecos do;D

BN plecos come in a variety of patterns, my favorite being the ALFBN Pleco. Google it. Their behavior amuses me as well. You just don't know what they are like until you see them in person, pictures cannot capture their charm.

And, like you, I am getting one for my 46 gallon bowfront

FishTank Maniacz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I love my pleco because he looks so cute when he is cleaning. I just got him yesterday and he has already got the tank super clean! They do good at keeping the tank clean and look cute. When I say they look cute I don't mean common plecos! I mean my little rubber lip pleco. Rubber lip plecos get about the same size as bristlenoses as they max out at 4-5 inches. This is perfect for 20 to 55 gallon tanks. I have mine in my 20 and hope to get a bigger tank in about a year. Right now he is 2 inches. Here is a picture of what they look like: Rubber lip pleco.jpg a bristle nose pleco would also be perfect. It just depends on what kind you like.

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I like BN and rubber nose plecos, although I only have BN plecos at the time. Plecos are really good for algae control. When I got my first BN pleco he cleaned half of my very messy 10 gallon tank in a single night. This may have only been because he was starving at the time (he came from Petco). He doesn't go through algae so quickly anymore.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BW'sFishTank said:
I love my pleco because he looks so cute when he is cleaning. I just got him yesterday and he has already got the tank super clean! They do good at keeping the tank clean and look cute. When I say they look cute I don't mean common plecos! I mean my little rubber lip pleco. Rubber lip plecos get about the same size as bristlenoses as they max out at 4-5 inches. This is perfect for 20 to 55 gallon tanks. I have mine in my 20 and hope to get a bigger tank in about a year. Right now he is 2 inches. Here is a picture of what they look like: Rubber lip pleco.jpg a bristle nose pleco would also be perfect. It just depends on what kind you like.
That's actually kinda cute. Cuter then the BN I think.

Tigress Hill said:
Well, corries don't eat algae and most plecos do;D

BN plecos come in a variety of patterns, my favorite being the ALFBN Pleco. Google it. Their behavior amuses me as well. You just don't know what they are like until you see them in person, pictures cannot capture their charm.

And, like you, I am getting one for my 46 gallon bowfront
i googled it. Didn't pull up much so they must be on the rare side. So I googled for s. Do they have the longer fins?

ETA: I had intended to get otos as my algae eater but now that I'm considering angels, I fear they may become dinner!

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I love plecs and really wish I had a tank big enough for them one of my LFS deals in rare ones and they all are amazingly beautiful my favourites are golden nugget, clown, phantoms, panache and of course zebras one day I'll get one or two they are very entertaining back in the day before I knew better I had two commons called beavis and butthead in a 5 foot tank not sure of capacity it was 16 years ago and they were fantastic fish but I had an issue with a wrongly named fish that systematically wiped out everything in the tank I wish I knew then what I know now and still had that tank. I would recommend getting a plec they are full of character

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I loved my albino long fin bristlenose pleco (loved because she alas is dead now, though I still miss her, so perhaps love present tense is in order - I plan to replace her sometime). She had personality, was unpredictable full of surprises, graceful, industrious, great at playing hide and see (where did the pleco go, under the driftwood or perfectly camouflaged or hugging the thermometer etc). She seemed smarter than the danios (granted it does not take much - I like my danios but not for intelligence), and more temperamental (whereas the danios have just a few basic moods: aggressive, calm, scared, amorous, starving, but not much else, whereas I think it would take much more vocabulary to discribe the many tempers of a bristlenose pleco. I also enjoyed that she would clean the MTS snails shells or perch high on a small plant leaf. I loved every time she swam through the water, instead of clinging to a surface (surprised me every time with her grace). I enjoyed how she would get inside the sponge filter to clean it inside out. I enjoyed watching her munch on zucchini, or lean out of the window of our sunken ship like a lady looking out of a castle window, or pretend like she was part of the cave, or lean out of the cave when I moved it during cleanup as if to ask whether I was done moving it and did she really need to move. I loved how majestic and in charge she appeared - I called her Princess Longfin. I found it fascinating that she could vary between being nocturnal and other times highly active during daytime, quietly sitting for hours, and being the busiest creature in our home on other days - so full of purpose in cleanup that it could be contagious. She was also extremely photogenic. She will always have a special place in my heart.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I like Plecos because they are a unique looking fish. Sometimes you see them sort of walk on the substrate. Some change color patterns according to their environment like my BN. I find their sucker mouth interesting and fun to watch them work the glass.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Plecos change colors At least BNs do. They camouflage with their environment. Sometimes mine gets a neat marbled pattern. I think they look cool and sharky. Mine used to be shy, but now she doesn't mind if I'm vacuuming the gravel right next to her, I can practically poke her with it haha.

Attachments

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hcroark said:
i googled it. Didn't pull up much so they must be on the rare side. So I googled for s. Do they have the longer fins?
Yes, their fins are long and beautiful! They are a little pinkish as well.

JoannaB, that was wonderful You must have loved her so much.

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JoannaB said:
I loved my albino long fin bristlenose pleco (loved because she alas is dead now, though I still miss her, so perhaps love present tense is in order - I plan to replace her sometime). She had personality, was unpredictable full of surprises, graceful, industrious, great at playing hide and see (where did the pleco go, under the driftwood or perfectly camouflaged or hugging the thermometer etc). She seemed smarter than the danios (granted it does not take much - I like my danios but not for intelligence), and more temperamental (whereas the danios have just a few basic moods: aggressive, calm, scared, amorous, starving, but not much else, whereas I think it would take much more vocabulary to discribe the many tempers of a bristlenose pleco. I also enjoyed that she would clean the MTS snails shells or perch high on a small plant leaf. I loved every time she swam through the water, instead of clinging to a surface (surprised me every time with her grace). I enjoyed how she would get inside the sponge filter to clean it inside out. I enjoyed watching her munch on zucchini, or lean out of the window of our sunken ship like a lady looking out of a castle window, or pretend like she was part of the cave, or lean out of the cave when I moved it during cleanup as if to ask whether I was doe moving it and did she really need to move. I loved how majestic and in charge she appeared - I called her Princess Longfin. I found it fascinating that she could vary between being nocturnal and other times highly active during daytime, quietly sitting for hours, and being the busiest creature in our home on other days - so full of purpose in cleanup that it could be contagious. She was also extremely photogenic. She will always have a special place in my heart.
Joanna this is a beautiful description of Princess Longfin she could never be replaced but her place adopted by another this put a smile on my face as I am not the only one who misses so dearly a lost friend. (sorry for going off topic couldn't help it)

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think gold nuggets and starlights are gorgeous. I like zebra plecos too. Too bad they're so expensive. My LFS has a few display tanks and one of them has a gold nugget in it, I always look when I go.

Also, that was a touching memoir, Joanna.

Magoo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My plec LFS has loads of amazing ones it's such a kick in the tank not big enough every time I go but they are expensive but beautiful one day I'll get the tank and plec of my dreams

rivulsevplec

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine does a cool moon walk with its fins and looks like a stealth bomber in a mid water swim. algae eating machine, also makes me clean the tank all the time because they are also poo machines. oops, hope that doesn't put you off. Mine is a common plec though, bn's won't make as much mess.

nippybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have an albino LF BN pleco. Believe it or not, I found it at Petco. It's beautiful and I love it. I haven't seen them at Petco since that night though, so I guess the got nabbed up and weren't replaced.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been watching Youtube vids of them. I can see where they could grow on me.

plecodragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To me plecos seem to be like little dragons-hence my screen name. There is nothing cuter then baby guppies swimming amongst the bristles of an adult male albino bristlenose, knowing that they are safe. The adults guppies just see a large fish and swim away. Some say that bristlenose plecos are so ugly they are cute and I find mine really cute.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have a female Bristle Nose in my 33 gallon long and a Sail Fin Pleco in my 265g 13 years old. They are simply an awesome fish. They truly help to keep some types of algae and diatoms under control. Check out the video below:

Ken

Tigress Hill

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What beautiful fish Ken!

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love my male bristlenose in my 55 and my female bristle nose in my 47 they are just awesome and great tank janitors and mine camouflage theirselves too every now and then to match the substrate or wood. I don't hold it against them that they're huge waste producers, they have more than enough redeeming qualities in their personality and algae control ability!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads