Why do we need to do water changes?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Meenu, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Okay, so I know we do water changes to keep the nitrates down. And I feel like I have a good understanding of the nitrogen cycle. As I've been posting, I've not been physically well, and so my poor fish tank is being a little neglected. I have managed to check the water parameters weekly, but the water hadn't been changed in three weeks. Today, my husband did a change for me, but the readings have consistenly been 0,0,5, even today. So why is the water change necessary when the nitrates aren't building up yet?

Thanks, cycle gurus, for your help on this one. :;nw

2. Tony G.

Tony G.Fishlore VIPMember

i think its so that they dont rise.... LOL im not a guru :giggle: i think i just understand it LOL

3. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

4. OP
    OP
    Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

got it, thanks. I knew I was missing something. :)

5. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Gravel vacs are really importent because not only does it remove waste, debris and other unwanted nutrients that get trapped but it keeps it so the nitrifying bacteria can get oxygen, other words so it doesn't get smothered. :)

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Would you need to do water changes for a heavily planted tank with a very low bioload? Say a 29 full of plants with a dozen neons.

7. ThunderValued MemberMember

Yeah, I tend to do less water changes as the tanks become older (more established). Usually, I just add more water back up. New tanks, I do frequent water changes for several months.

I believe you do even less water changes if a tank is full of real plants, because they feed on nitrate as well. I also was told that (likely for smaller tanks) half tap water and half store-bought water is fantastic for plants.

8. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

I would be very careful about mixing 1/2 tap water to 1/2 storewater as a general statement....even for small tanks. If you or someone else has a very high Ph, and mixes 1/2 with store bought water, it could cause a large Ph swing to your tank and very dangerous to your fish. If you are going to use store bought water check it first.
    I use mixed water all the time, If I were to suddenly stop I would definately cause Ph shock to my fish.

9. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning.

Water changes: My opinion is, if water changes are not done on a regular basis then the fish are swimming/living in their own waste regardless of what your chemistry readings are. It's kind of like bathing or showering. If you don't bathe or shower yourself, you start to build up this "funky stuff" on your body. When you bathe or shower the "funky stuff" is removed. I want my fish to have that same fresh clean feeling just as I have when I step out of the shower. (although I'm never "funky") LOL

There is nothing that you can do that is better for your fish than giving them fresh water. :;2cents
    Ken

10. OP
    OP
    Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Thanks guys for all the input.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice