Question Why do Tetras need to be kept in odd numbers schools?

BigOlePappy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just curious. I read in a thread this advice and it wasn't fully explained why, but suggested.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mine have a pecking order whether the number is even or odd....as long as there is enough,(5 or more IMO) I dont think the numbers matter

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They fight when kept in even numbers.
Interesting. I've never heard that. Nor have I seen it. I have four black neons and six glowlights, and have not had problems with any of them.

If they're kept in small numbers, there won't be enough fish to spread out the violence that establishes pecking order (the same can happen among wolves and even dogs that have the pack tendencies), and the weakest fish will be picked on too much. However, I've never heard anything about even vs odd numbers, and I can't think of any reason why, for example, six fish would have more violence problems than five would.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My tetra school sizes vary over time. I lose one here, cull one there, add three more. Ive never noticed any difference, though I have HEARD about keeping them and all schooling fish in odd numbers.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
??? That is rediculous!!!!....Most of mine were purchased as even numbers....no problems.....ever.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
I believe the reason for the odd number is for eye appeal. Just like in flower arranging, everything is in odd numbers for mixed bouquets. And, in decorating, items placed in odd numbers are more appealing to our eye.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had 6 then it went to 5 the last one got injured, not sure how maybe it was the pecking order? (he was the runt of the litter)

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe the reason for the odd number is for eye appeal. Just like in flower arranging, everything is in odd numbers for mixed bouquets. And, in decorating, items placed in odd numbers are more appealing to our eye.
I'll agree to that!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I also agree with Catsma. Anytime I cut flowers I cut in odd #'s to go into a vase. I've always heard that odd #'s are more appealing to the eye.

Ken

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Neon tetras don't care about even or odd, they are very fond of being kept in quantities that are prime numbers. 577 is the optimal quantity, though they are also very fond of 6113. An oscar told me that just before lunch.

kelsangdol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I bought my neon tetras in bulks of 4, they seemed to always be stresses so they schooled a lot.
But when some started to die off, leaving me with only one, he seemed much happier and relaxed and barely hid in the plants.
But I do plan on buying more soon.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Neon tetras don't care about even or odd, they are very fond of being kept in quantities that are prime numbers. 577 is the optimal quantity, though they are also very fond of 6113. An oscar told me that just before lunch.
I think 577 Neon Tetras would be awesome

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom