Why Do Some Of My Plants Keep Dying?

rainlemongrass

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 38 gallon tetra and guppy tank with mixed fake and live plants and I can’t for the life of me keep some of them alive. I also have a 10 gallon pea puffer tank and every single plant in there dies on about a 2 month cycle. I have seachem’s flourish and I feed according to the dose on the bottle but eventually the stems turn clearing/brown and eventually the leaves separate and float away. The leaves don’t always die, the stems where they attach to the plant base do. In the 38, my ph is 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0 nitrates 10. In the puffer tank, ph is 6.8, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 10.

I’m not sure all the plants names but I have wisteria and amazon sword in both. The wisteria is definitely dying right now in the puffer tank but the sword seems to be ok in both at the moment. I also have a little one that attaches itself to decor and roots on it that seems to be ok all the time in both tanks.

What am I doing wrong??

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nothing. Some plants are better suited to some tanks than others. Light level. Water movement. Water temperature. Fish activity. They all come into play.

You can read up on the requirements of each individual plant you are keeping and compare it to conditions in your tank. Make changes to the tank or find a plant that better suits your conditions.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Amazon sword is a root feeder and while Seachem Flourish will help slightly, you really have to have root tabs for them or they will die.

Wisteria, if planted, benefits greatly from root tabs also. If floating, the Flourish will help it. I had the same disaster with wisteria but once I fed it in the substrate it took right off.

Be careful also not to bury the crown on the Sword.

Hope that helps!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom