Why do people think their aquariums are gold?

1. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Looking over ads for used tanks on CL. Seems people have aquariums made of gold. Wow, overpriced or what?

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I notice this in my area too, contantly see 20gal setups for $100 or 10gals for $50.00. There was a 55 gal I was watching for a while the ad was on forever because the seller wanted $300 for tank stand and underated HOB.

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I am going to buy New York City when I sell off all 230+ tanks I have here.

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

It's crazy! I mean they're USED, not new.:what:

5. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yikes. I price tanks like such. And this is just for standard glass rectangles.

If its new 1.25-1.50 pergallon
    If its used but not dirty at all and has very little use $1.00-75c per gallon
    If its used, and it has scratches, stains or damage to the silicone 75c per gallon
    If its dirty or is repaired/patched then you get 50c per gallon
    if it has a crack then you get 5c. or i take it free WITH purchase of other tank items.

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Like your system.;)

7. Shine Well Known Member Member

Prices are insane around here. I've seen the same 50 gal tank and stand for sale for over a year now, because the owners won't budge on the price (it was initially 450, but has come down to 350) Regardless, way too high. 10 gallon tanks are often priced at 50-60$ for just the tank, which is insane; as they are cheaper new at walmart or even petsmart. And worst of all is the 5 gallon tanks I've seen priced at 50-100$ :eek: People are flat-out crazed.

8. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

My last big purchase was 1800 gallons divided between 28 tanks for 2200$ plus the 250$ to rent a truck to get them here. The biggest tank was a 220 gallon.
    Of course, this was someone shutting down a fishroom, not a one tank person looking to get EVERY dime back that they had spent on the set up.

9. snapper Well Known Member Member

I have been lucky to find deals. Like a like new Fluval Chi for $20. I just sold a 55g with stand for $100. I had a tin of people interested so I guess the price was fair. I had bought it for $120 including a broken heater and crappy filter and fish I could barely give away. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I think people want to make their money back after they buy a tank and the fish die because of bad adivise/ no research and they give up. I have bought soe used tanks, but only if they semed like a good deal. My 75gal was $300, but it came with tank,stand, canopy, custom roller thing under the stand, a eheim 2217, 2 penguin 330's ,100 lbs of gravel,decor, fake plants , 2 airpumps, tubing, heaters, 2 power heads, air stones, and a box full of supplies.

11. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I've noticed that here too. I've looked at ads and thought that I'd be better off buying a plain tank and stand because the price of a used one is twice what a new one would cost. Crazy.

12. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Maybe people just loved their aquariums so much when they had them set-up they value them more than they are really worth.

13. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Wow, same here in south Florida. I thought it was just a local phenomenon but I guess not.
    Hmm, speaking of buying new tanks, did you know that PetCo is running a 40 percent off sale on Aqueon tank kits? Kits include filter, hood, florescent light, food and conditioner samples, heater, thermometer, and the tank, of course. 10g is $36, 20g is $56, 29g is $72 and 55g is $119. :)

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

You send me a 10gal and ill send you a Sand boa :D

15. iRun Member Member

I guess I made out like a bandit. I sold my kinda dirty 75g with oak stand and canopy with some random maintenance stuff and a Marineland H.O.T. filter for $350 on C.L., after making it clear that price was firm.

I guess I overpriced my stuff because I had my eye on a new tank and setup that I needed to fund. I had a buyer within a week. If I'm honest, after what I paid and the shape the stand, canopy, and tank were in it was a pretty good deal for buyer and seller.

16. uphill4me Member Member

I feel like a fool!

I've never sold an aquarium item before. If someone needs something badly enough that I am willing to part with it they can have it. I give away many aquariums, accessories, plants and babies; sometimes out of convenience and sometimes out of goodwill. Somehow I end up with more stuff than I can use anyway. Nurture their interest and they become another precious resource.

I could have made pretty penny of tanks and stands alone!

17. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Aquariums here must be dirt :p I can (and have several times!) find full 100 gallon set ups (fish included!) for 100 bucks LOL

18. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

It depends around here. I got my nice 55gal with custom hardwood stand (the stand weighs twice as much as the tank) for $40. I got my 46gal bowfront with accessories (light, HOB filter, tons of random stuff) for $60 at a garage sale. I got my 5.5gal with hood, gravel and two ornaments for $3 at a local thrift store. You just gotta know where to look. ;)

19. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

It isnt always about where to look either, around me even the thrift stores over price them. I have made some deals on CL but for the most part people just think that the tank is worth close to what they paid for it new 6 months ago. It also seems to go in cycles, you will find that all of a sudden tanks will just start to show up cheap again, the downside is that there are alot of people looking for them and will jump on them quickly.

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

It also depends on the shape of the aquarium. While id pay 1.25 per gallon for a rectangle, id probably end up paying $3-4 per gallon for a hex.