Why do my stupid guppies never learn?!

Fishboy32

So what my guppies do is that they bother my splendid loach charlie and go in his cave and emerge with biten tails and fins, but they keep on bothering him why?!

bcsay720

I completely understand. My glowlight tetras are usually fine, but whenever they sense a stressed fish (like my honey gourami guarding his first batch of eggs last week), they purposefully annoy them.

Do you have other fish in the tank? How large is the tank? Do you have another one to potentially move the loach to?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yeah, my female guppy, ma, attacks my 4-5 inch angelfish and then gets chased afterwards, sometimes fish are just not smart. And I had a hatchetfish jump out yesterday and in between the wall and my dresser, I couldn't save him.

BigManAquatics

Never heard anyone accuse guppies of having intelligence!

BPSabelhaus

14182BBA-9E16-4B07-9F9D-E565E39EC082.gif

I mean, their mating dance is basically Blue Steel, there’s a strain of Endler called El Tigre’….

emeraldking

Also guppies can be curious and dominant.

14182BBA-9E16-4B07-9F9D-E565E39EC082.gif

I mean, their mating dance is basically Blue Steel, there’s a strain of Endler called El Tigre’….
Correct. The El tigre is also the smallest wild endler there is. I'm keeping them already for a number of years now.

Marlene327

I've found with my guppies, they have very basic needs. The males are 80% all about mating, 20% eating. Females' only need is to eat 100% of the time. I often wondered if I had a female alone, how much WOULD she eat, if I were there to feed her every 15 minutes. Would she actually stop? Would she explode? Of course I'd never test that, but I sure have wondered. I have a 20 gallon with 10 males and and obviously there's no mating, but they still go through the ritual, showing off and each of them letting the others know they're the best looking. And they eat like females since that's all they really have to do!
I'm taking all my guppies except my blue ones to Petco this week. I need to go another direction with my tanks, it's a waste for me to have those males using up a 20 g tank. No more live bearers, except the blue guppies I simply love so much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • henleyaquariums
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup
  • Question
  • Soorahk
  • Guppy
Replies
Views