why do my snails keep dying?

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

Actually, I should be more specific.... the pond snails are fine, the ramshorns are multiplying beyond control and the nerites are doing well.... BUT the ones that keep dying are the 'mystery' snails.

So far out of 4 that I have bought I only have one left! And I'd really like to keep poor Dru alive!

One was probably harassed to death by the goldfish but the other two deaths make no sense to me. They get algae waffers and zucchini along with whatever the fish don't get to... and they all died about a month or two after I got them. The one I found dead this morning I'd had for about 3 months at least now, and he'd even grown bigger since I first got him :-\

*sigh* I just don't get it

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How do you know they are dead? Alot of people consider some behaviour from snails to be dead, but they are just normal behaviour.

They are in your 10gals? Do you have a calcium supplement (like egg shels or a cuttle bone in your filter)? What are their tank mates? What are the water perameters on their tanks?

Were they showing signs of being unwell before they died? Were they spending time trying to get above the water line? Did you see them eating?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I, too, want to know what signs led to the declaration of death. I had written off all of my nerites (eight at least) last week after several days of no movement and all but one has moved. And even now, many haven't resumed normal activities, but are still moving every so often.

-Lisa

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ya, snail death is VERY hard to determine. They can float, sink, stay still, sleep, and do most of it all while freaking us out!!

The only postivie death state is the body hanging out of the shell with no movement, or putrid smell. Those are the only two ways I would be comfortable disposing of a snail.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, I got those two ways. The most recent one to die appeared to be hanging out in a cave for several days... I got suspicious and pulled him out of the tank. He wasn't closed up in his shell, the smell was instantly recognizable, and when I took a hold of his 'door' and put a little pressure on it, the whole body of the snail came out of the shell.

Yep. Definitely dead.

Food is as I said in the first post; stuff just for them plus whatever the fish don't eat first. And tankmates have been everything from the evil killer goldfish, to platies, cories and one with a betta (no longer though, as that is the most recent death). Water params on all the tanks that have had a snail die have been fine.... well, until the decomposing snail affected things anyhow :-\

just... frustrating. Can't I have a ramshorn die-off instead??? *twitch* ...well, not really but still!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very odd. You did see them eating what you put in there for them? Do you have calcium supplements in the tank?

If you can answer some of my questions about behaviour I might be able to help.

Shine

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
other then the zucchini no suppliments; but the water is well water, and is 'hard' it has a lot of calcium in it already. A lot of things I read suggested that zucchini has lots of calcium in it as well, thus why I gave it to them regularly.

I haven't often seen any of them eat. Not even Dru (whom I've had for about 3-ish months now) and is the last one of the mysteries that is alive. I see her cruising around a fair bit, but rarely do I see her eating. One of the most recent ones to die I saw hitting the zucchini every time I put it in the tank; but only occasionally did I witness him eating anything else.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads