Why do my shrimp hide endlessly?

suttont11

I have 1 honey gourami, 5 endlers, and 4 cherry shrimp in the 9 gal fluval flex. The shrimp seem to just hide behind the rock ALL DAY. Seriously, I never see them out. I always make sure to get some food back there for them at feeding time. They all seem to be doing pretty well. My parameters are 0, 0, and 20. (PH is 7.2) I've had them for about 2 weeks. Is this normal shrimp behavior or is something wrong? Also, I'd love to hear recomendations on growing java moss. Mine seems to be growing out in strings, but still very slowly. Thank you!
IMG_2804.jpg

Best Answer - View Flyfisha's answer

FishBoy101

Well Known
suttont11 said:
I have 1 honey gourami, 5 endlers, and 4 cherry shrimp in the 9 gal fluval flex. The shrimp seem to just hide behind the rock ALL DAY. Seriously, I never see them out. I always make sure to get some food back there for them at feeding time. They all seem to be doing pretty well. My parameters are 0, 0, and 20. (PH is 7.2) I've had them for about 2 weeks. Is this normal shrimp behavior or is something wrong? Also, I'd love to hear recomendations on growing java moss. Mine seems to be growing out in strings, but still very slowly. Thank you!
IMG_2804.jpg
I think it is because of the gourami. The gourami might be trying to eat the shrimp.

Salem

Well Known
Shrimp are very small and delicate creatures and they know this. They are hiding because of the fish in the tank. It's normal.

suttont11

FishBoy101 said:
I think it is because of the gourami. The gourami might be trying to eat the shrimp.
Dang that makes me sad. The gourami is being very nice to the endlers. I was hoping to have a small colony in this tank but I guess that probably won't happen.

Salem

Well Known
If possible you could try putting in more places to hide for the shrimp- might increase your chances of seeing them flitting between them all.

Flyfisha

Well Known
I have found that this is normal. However I have also seen the next generation of shrimp that are born in the tank with fish will behave very differently .

Wait a few months you might be surprised?
i have shrimp in a tank with 6 honey gourami. They are in the open all day everyday.The shrimp spend all day on top of a sponge fish . They could not be more visible now.

Gwlson7

Flyfisha said:
I have found that this is normal. However I have also seen the next generation of shrimp that are born in the tank with fish will behave very differently.
I second this. I started with 14 shrimp in my 17 gallon community tank with guppies, neons, embers, and cories and it would take me hours to find them. Now I have over 100 cherries visible at any time and they could care less about the fish.

barracooter

In most conditions, java moss is slow growing. I'm sure that Jetts is right that it grow quicly in the right conditions, but most people with java moss bought it because it's so hardy, not becuase they want to grow it quickly. I wouldn't expect fast growth out of your java moss unless you change the water parameters to whatever it is java moss likes. Personally, I've never had much success with it.

As for the shrimp, I'd like to back up what everyone else said. The shrimp are currently hiding due to the fish, more specifically the gourami (since gourami will prey upon fish small enough for them to eat). However, if you provide more hiding spots and wait for the shrimp colony to grow larger, they will grow more comfortable with their surroundings and you'll see them in the open far more often than you do now.

You absolutely can keep gouramis and shrimp, it just takes some time and some strong hiding spots for the shrimp to feel comfortable.

Argos

Yeah I am not interested in arguing relative terms. Moss is widely regarded by most as slow growing regardless of "conditions" considerations. Several "strings" in a couple weeks is normal, therefore my point.

Top Bottom