Why do my ghost shrimp keep disappearing?

Daniodude

I´ve been trying to introduce ghost shrimp to my 30 gallon tank for a year now and they keep disappearing, does anyone have any ideas why this is so?

Here are some of my theories,
  • Eaten by either my giant danios or red eared slider
  • Just hiding (I have stones as the substrate)
  • Crushed by the stones

If you could help me that would be great!

AquaCaitlin

I’m sorrythe title made me laugh.

I’ve heard that in shrimp tanks whenever something dies it often “vanishes” because the other shrimp will eat it... so maybe that’s happening?

I think your other theories sound plausible as well, whenever you’re watching your tank do you notice your danios going after the shrimp?

Daniodude

AquaCaitlin said:
I’m sorrythe title made me laugh.

I’ve heard that in shrimp tanks whenever something dies it often “vanishes” because the other shrimp will eat it... so maybe that’s happening?

I think your other theories sound plausible as well, whenever you’re watching your tank do you notice your danios going after the shrimp?
No, in fact the last time I had shrimp in the tank they would sit on top of driftwood and pinch at any fins that got too close.

AquaCaitlin

Daniodude said:
No, in fact the last time I had shrimp in the tank they would sit on top of driftwood and pinch at any fins that got too close.
Hm. They quite possible could be hiding in the rocks, as shrimp do like to hide, or getting crushed and being eaten or simply decomposing.
is there dense plants in the tank that they could be hiding in?

Daniodude

AquaCaitlin said:
Hm. They quite possible could be hiding in the rocks, as shrimp do like to hide, or getting crushed and being eaten or simply decomposing.
is there dense plants in the tank that they could be hiding in?
Yes, there are a few large clumps of hornwort, and some plastic fryhide.

AquaCaitlin

Daniodude said:
Yes, there are a few large clumps of hornwort, and some plastic fryhide.
I would keep an eye out to see if you can see the shrimp coming out of the rocks or plants at any time, and maybe even consider changing the substrate to something finer, even though it can be a pain to change substrate it will probably help your shrimp population.

Daniodude

AquaCaitlin said:
I would keep an eye out to see if you can see the shrimp coming out of the rocks or plants at any time, and maybe even consider changing the substrate to something finer, even though it can be a pain to change substrate it will probably help your shrimp population.
I've been gradually changing the stones out for a finer gravel, but thanks anyway!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom