Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Why Do My Fake Plants Get So Dirty 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ~Matt~, May 24, 2019.

1. ~Matt~ Valued Member Member

I put new fake plants in just a week ago and they already have dirt on them. Is there something I’m doing wrong? 

2. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Nothing wrong with them. Real plants do the same. They’re most likely diatoms... just rub them off during your next water change :)

3. Morpheus1967 Well Known Member Member

How long has the tank been set up? That looks like diatoms, which almost all new tanks get.

Great minds, eh? :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
  4. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

Haha yes. I still get them even though my tank has been up and running since January. It’s annoying and unsightly but it’s part of aquarium life I suppose.

5. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

My silk plants get the same thing, it can also be caused by too much light.

6. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

And not enough flow/circulation. They usually grow because of silicates in the water which is especially true if you’re using silica sand as substrate. Too much nutrients and nitrates and/or low oxygen content can also be the cause.

7. ~Matt~ Valued Member Member

It’s been set up for 3 and a half months

Is it usually difficult to rub off? I usually have to scrub it with brush.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
  8. TheBettaSushi Well Known Member Member

If it sits for too long then yes it can especially on the tank walls. I usually rub them off as soon as I see them. If that doesn’t work and it’s stubborn, a clean and unused toothbrush will work just fine. It’s what I use to clean rocks, filter parts, plants, etc.

9. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

10. ~Matt~ Valued Member Member

I’m thinking about getting live plants soon actually. Do I need special gravel/sand for them? If you want I can create a new post for this.

11. happyscrub Valued Member Member

Slow plants get dirty quicker. Fake plants that don't grow at all is even worst lol.

12. Brizburk Well Known Member Member

No, just need root tabs. You'll be glad you made the swap. My tank is less than a year old. Most if my plants were free  

13. gorejusdesign Valued Member Member

Real plants is the way to go. They are so helpful/beneficial for your tank :)

14. Deku-Cory Valued Member Member

I was afraid to try live plants for the longest time. Now I’m converted and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to fake plants! Caring for them sounds so intimidating, but really it’s as difficult as you make it. I’d recommend just dipping your toes in and buying a couple easy plants instead of going all in at once. You can have an easy setup with a few plants, some fertilizer, and a basic tank light. Java Fern was my first and is my personal favorite. Looks great, nearly impossible to kill, doesn’t need any special care. But in general, if you Google “Easy aquarium plants” you’ll find a nice selection of beginner plants to get you started.