Help Why do my dwarf cichlids always get sick???

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello! I have a question about my dwarf cichlids, they always get sick! My tetras, discus, angels, and algae eaters are as healthy as horses! My water quality is pristine, I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and around 5-15 nitrates. These dwarf cichlids eat and act healthy and happy one day but then the next few weeks they just start acting lethargic, sinking to the bottom, barely eating, and becoming pale. Sometimes they get bloated...
this has happened to my cockatoo dwarf cichlids, my rams, my Agassizs, and just today my golden eye dwarfs! They get sick and they just start acting strange for whatever reason. I have a UV sterilizer in the tank. And I also have a Fluval 406, and a pennplax cascade 1200. So it’s about 250 gallons of filtration going on in my 75. I make sure that the filters are clean after months of use. I do regular water changes (around 50% weekly) and I still can’t figure out why these dwarf cichlids are always getting sick!! I have them in my QT tank with aquarium salt and higher temperatures but they still seem to be sick. It’s very frustrating that I have been taking care of fish for about 6-7 years right now, but only the dwarf cichlids can’t survive. Could it be their diet? I feed them frozen blood worms a few times a week, I feed them brine shrimp flakes, brine shrimp, Hikari tetra pellets, and freeze dried blood worms. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with these fish please help me.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind/ name of dwarf cichlids you have? Can you post a picture...?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well first, salt is a no-no. Salt is for saltwater fishies or baths, not in the tank.

GBRs can take higher temps but most other dwarf cichlids shouldn't be in discus temp water.

I also heard that as rams grow popularity, farms start to inject hormones into the fish, so they go to shop earlier and show more color. But then they just die randomly.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquarium Salt might help in some case to cure some of the fish itch but it is not a miracle thing to cure all sickness of all fish.Salt is good to help healthy fish a boost on their metabolism to increase the bacteria defend and getting more active but not all the fish are benefit from it...Be careful .and understand who which what can use and where?
We have so many different type of dwarf cichlids...Some may come from south other may ride from north..some slide from high area land,river.,other may live in lake of valley..Different type prefer different way to live,eat,mate,enviroment...You got to know well what type you have,then they may live happy with your treat and feed...Do some research..it will help you understand your fish better...Some time people look a like but they are really came from another custom / country..

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aquarium Salt might help in some case to cure some of the fish itch but it is not a miracle thing to cure all sickness of all fish.Salt is good to help healthy fish a boost on their metabolism to increase the bacteria defend and getting more active but not all the fish are benefit from it...Be careful .and understand who which what can use and where?
We have so many different type of dwarf cichlids...Some may come from south other may ride from north..some slide from high area land,river.,other may live in lake of valley..Different type prefer different way to live,eat,mate,enviroment...You got to know well what type you have,then they may live happy with your treat and feed...Do some research..it will help you understand your fish better...Some time people look a like but they are really came from another custom / country..
IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

My male and female golden eye cichlid dwarfs, just staying at the bottom of the tank.
IMG_1245.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG

My female balloon ram not getting any better, her eyes are bulging out and covered with a film. She has a red marking on her head too. What’s the problem here now can I fix them.

Attachments

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gold eye can possibly be helped, however the problem with the balloon rams is that they are in fact "balloon" rams. Very sensitive type of fish to begin with, made extremely unhealthy to make it look "better". The rams could have several issues, swim bladder and stunting being the first two to mind.

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gold eye can possibly be helped, however the problem with the balloon rams is that they are in fact "balloon" rams. Very sensitive type of fish to begin with, made extremely unhealthy to make it look "better". The rams could have several issues, swim bladder and stunting being the first two to mind.
Please help me find a cure for the golden eye cichlids I’ll do anything

And it’s sad that the balloon rams are bred to have immune deficiencies, :( they’re very cute and graceful. It’s sad to see them get sick. If there’s anything I should do to it, I will. Should it be humanely euthanized?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Idk if this is a real problem, but I would alter their diet. There seems to be a lot of protein and freeze dried foods. And i'm not a fan of Hikari anymore.

When you feed the FD foods, do you moisten them first? FD and frozen food only be fed a few times a week as a treat. I prefer to feed pellets over flake to my fish because they are cleaner and more nutrition per bite. Pellet foods are their staple. Good quality prepared brands of food are NLS, Omega One and NorthFin. You only want to see one filter in the ingredients. If you see more than one potato, soy or wheat ingredients, it's not great quality. Also look for whole fish ingredients over fish meal.

Can you make a hospital tank for the dwarf cichlids? Changing the water every day might help them. It worked for my EB ram when she had finrot. Are they bloated? Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) can help with swelling, it helps draw out excess fluids (like around the eyes).

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can you give me as much detail as possible about their issues?
Okay my electric blue golden eye dwarf cichlids 1 male and 1 female, literally were very healthy since last April when I got them. All of the sudden, like last week, they started hiding more, when I try to go near them they run away but they don’t swim high, the just sink to the bottom. They’re pale in color compared to before. They are very lethargic and aren’t just swimming before like they used to. I think I over fed them too much protein and hikari. Should I not feed them for a little while? What should i start to feed them??

My female balloon ram, was very healthy, next thing she started getting white specs on her forehead. Then next thing you know her eyes started bulging out, now they are bulging with a white film around her eyes. There is like a red sore blood mark on her head now too. Idk what’s up with her

Idk if this is a real problem, but I would alter their diet. There seems to be a lot of protein and freeze dried foods. And i'm not a fan of Hikari anymore.

When you feed the FD foods, do you moisten them first? FD and frozen food only be fed a few times a week as a treat. I prefer to feed pellets over flake to my fish because they are cleaner and more nutrition per bite. Pellet foods are their staple. Good quality prepared brands of food are NLS, Omega One and NorthFin. You only want to see one filter in the ingredients. If you see more than one potato, soy or wheat ingredients, it's not great quality. Also look for whole fish ingredients over fish meal.

Can you make a hospital tank for the dwarf cichlids? Changing the water every day might help them. It worked for my EB ram when she had finrot. Are they bloated? Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) can help with swelling, it helps draw out excess fluids (like around the eyes).
I do believe it’s their diet now that you reminded me. The blood worms I feed a lot to my discus. They don’t eat anything much other than that. I need to find a new discus food source that the others can eat. They ate a little too much blood worms. They got sickly. I lost a couple von rio flame tetras to the supposed feeding of blood worms. Their bellies got swollen and they soon passed away.

Yes I can convert my quarantine to a hospital tank;

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are comfortable setting up quarentine, I would put the ballon ram in her own tank. Idk what to suggest for treatment though except very clean water and perfect parameters/conditions and Boyd liquid fish vitamins in the water. She needs attention though. Maybe she would benefit from a bit of dissolved Epsom salts to bring down swelling. Idk if she's bloated because she's a ballon ram, but it may help with the eye swelling. It can be used in conjunction with many other meds. The swelling in the eyes suggests it has progressed to a bacterial infection. Is it possible this started with Hexamita/HITH? Add anything to the tank before they started to hide?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do believe it’s their diet now that you reminded me. The blood worms I feed a lot to my discus. They don’t eat anything much other than that. I need to find a new discus food source that the others can eat. They ate a little too much blood worms. They got sickly. I lost a couple von rio flame tetras to the supposed feeding of blood worms. Their bellies got swollen and they soon passed away.
On that note, frozen brine shrimp would work. It's not the most nutritious for discus, but it's enough for most other fish and acts as a natural color enhancer for the discus.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There is commercial products that can add vitamins/other nutrients to frozen food. Frozen food has little nutrition in it so it is strongly reccomended.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed my angels NLS discus formula 1mm pellets as a staple (along with other good quality brands) my other fish eat the discus pellets, but they are a bit big for the smaller fish, so the other fish get their smaller 0.5mm pellets as the angels get their 1mm pellets from the surface.

I also recommend Boyd fish vitamins for the water (uptake thru gills for fish that aren't eating) and/or the food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom