Why Do My Cory Cats Keep Dying?

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’m writing this on my phone on the bus so sorry for any mistakes.

So I woke too two more dead bronze Cory cats and I can’t figure out why! Out of the 7 that I’ve bought in the past two months 4 have died. I noticed nothing wrong with them except one who was deformed.
I’ve never seen them be attacked and my water is good and so are my more sensitive fish so I don’t know what’s happening!

Current tank mates:
3x angelfish
5x white skirt tetras
3x khuli loaches
6x bloodfin tetras
3x bronze cory cats
2x yo-yo loaches

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you please place sone pics of the remainibg ones ?
CloudTheFluffy said:
I feed them hikari sinking waffers and blood worms 1-2 times a week and they eat any leftover flakes/pellets if there is any.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look quite healthy and well fed.
No signs of illnesses / worms etc....
There was one etting deformed ?

Lost an aeneus myself last week (12 remaining in that tank are perfectly allright).
CloudTheFluffy said:
This was a picture takedn yesterday morning that’s why there is four.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Contrary to popular thought cory cats are not tough fish and can be very sensitive to the water they are in. This goes beyond the big four of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph. Water temp, TDS like heavy metals, O2 (even though they can gulp O2 at the waters surface and absorb it in the intestine) and food (they need a good and varied diet, not left to scavenge) are considerations.

It is a rare thing for me to loose a cory. We have six diffrent types across several aquariums.

I can tell you what I do. Maybe a review of this will be helpfull.

The water is from a 5 stage RO/DI unit remineralized with SeaChem Equilibrium, the aquariums are well planted, filtration is canisters with carbon and HOB for 10x the water column, serviced every other week on rotation. Food is quality flakes, frozen brine and frozen blood worms on rotation. All new fish ar QT for at least four weeks. Any fish that looks even remotely out of sorts is removed for observation. Water changes as the sent of the water or readings call for.

Best wishes.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hahaha I keep them in plain tapwater (perfect here), most in unheated tanks temps going from 17c-31c.
Only have issues keeping the dwarfs.
The rest are hardy buggers to me.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i keep my little pygmy cories in my 10 gallon with my betta. heavily planted, water change every week (small one). they seem active and healthy as ever. They eat everything!

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The one who was deformed/old injury had a head that looked caved in on both sides. I don't have any pictures of him any more but he died three weeks after purchase. The ones that were from he first purchase were alive for 3 weeks before any died. These ones have been here another 3 weeks.
I have well water if that's of any concern. I don't use any water conditioner and my loaches are all fine and I was under the impression that if there was something wrong they would be the ones showing some kind of issue. Temp is 79-80f

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What meds do you recommend to use incase of a bacterial infection or worms? would general cure work? how would I dose with scaleless fish in the tank? I'm thinking I should do a treatment of the whole tank now incase...

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CloudTheFluffy said:
What meds do you recommend to use incase of a bacterial infection or worms? would general cure work? how would I dose with scaleless fish in the tank? I'm thinking I should do a treatment of the whole tank now incase...
To be honest I don't see any signs in the remaining ones. I'd only worm them to be sure about that at this moment. Wouldn't mess with anti bacterial meds in this stage. Not completely familiar with the brands overthere though. . I "hate" the word "general" though hahhaha.
Prazipro or Kursuri are good wormers to my believe.

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay, I guess I'll just QT the new ones I get hopefully there will be no more deaths.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom