3 dwarf gourami
1 yoyo loach (3cm at the moment)
1 simaese algae eater (tiny)
1 female betta
Drift wood
Couple plants
Ornaments
60 cm Bubble curtain

So I had a small bristlenose and had him for 4 months. I decided I wanted a canister filter so I put a canister filter in while still running my normal filters just so (well hoping my tank wouldn't crash which it didnt) and to establish, probly 3 days later he died and every other bristle nose I put in has died thev lasted 3 days max I ran all the filters for about a month and then took out my normal ones. . I recently brought 1 and 2 days later dead. All my other fish are happy and healthy
What I'm wanting to know is, is there something in my canister filter that's doing it?
It came with bio balls bionoodles blue white and black sponges

Noroomforshoe

If all the other fish are ok, its not likly the canister causing the issue. How old is the Siamese algae eater? They get territorial, he may not appretiate new tank mates. The yoyo loach is another possible offender. He should be in a school of 6 or more, kept solitary he will be stress and unpredictable. He might have just wanted to play with the new pleco, and he may have played too rough.

Kaza09

I was thinking the bio noodles had something in them that bristle noses don't like because that was the only thing that was different but read up it's just clay ‍.
The simese algae eaters just recently been put in there and is only like the size of a neon tetra and I've had 3 bristle nose in there before him.
The yoyo loach is about 5cm. My first bristle nose I had was bigger than the yoyo loach and didn’t take any nonsense from any of the fish so I ruled that out. But If anything it would be the yoyo loach he is very active and playful. I did read up that they need to be in a group.
The fish store said thel be fine as 1 but I'm guessing thel say anything to sell lol

CrackerboxPalace

Do you know if your water has copper in it? Bristlenoses are particularly sensitive to copper levels since they don't have scales.

Some water conditioners do remove copper though.

DoubleDutch

What are you feeding ?

Kaza09

Do you know if your water has copper in it? Bristlenoses are particularly sensitive to copper levels since they don't have scales.

Some water conditioners do remove copper though.
I'm not to sure if it has copper how would I check? I use prime for water changes

CrackerboxPalace

I'm not to sure if it has copper how would I check? I use prime for water changes
your city/town/council should have a website with all the mineral levels in the water. Prime should detoxify low levels of copper though.

Kaza09

What are you feeding ?
My first bristlenose I had for 4 months I was feeding algae wafers Zucchini and it ate what I feed my other fish. And the other brisltenose I seen them eat glass algae and a algae wafer they didn't last long enough

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Very strange, I've found BN plecs to be hardy and robust. Perhaps your supplier has a week batch or wild caught and they are overly sensitive.

Plecos also need wood to rasp on for digestion I believe, i assume you have driftwood or somthing?

What is the temperature of your water?

Kaza09

My first bristlenose I had for 4 months I was feeding algae wafers Zucchini and it ate what I feed my other fish. And the other brisltenose I seen them eat glass algae and a algae wafer they didn't last long enough
I'm stumped for a sudden death right after I put the canister filter in and there still dieing on me and Its the only thing I've changed
Very strange, I've found BN plecs to be hardy and robust. Perhaps your supplier has a week batch or wild caught and they are overly sensitive.

Plecos also need wood to rasp on for digestion I believe, i assume you have driftwood or somthing?

What is the temperature of your water?
Yes theres wood and heaps of hiding spaces my temps 26
I'm stumped for a sudden death right after I put the canister filter in and there still dieing on me and Its the only thing I've changed

Yes theres wood and heaps of hiding spaces my temps 26
I've only brought from 2 stores and brought them weeks and months apart

DoubleDutch

BN's are omnivores and need meaty food as well to stay healthy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
taj13
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
Lmg01
Replies
Views