Why do i need 30 gallons for rainbow boesemani?

IDKwhattodo

I just read a care sheet about rainbow boesemani that is native to my country and they need 30 gallons as a minimum tank requirement. That's a bit weird considering that they were so little. can anyone explain this or am I just dumb that they are schooling fishes

GuppyGal7

I just read a care sheet about rainbow boesemani that is native to my country and they need 30 gallons as a minimum tank requirement. That's a bit weird considering that they were so little. can anyone explain this or am I just dumb that they are schooling fishes
It's not just above size, it's about how active they are. For example, bettas can live in tanks as small as 5 gallons even though they're bigger than a lot of tetras because they're slow swimming solitary fish. Fast schooling fish need more space because they're more active. They need more room to display natural behaviours.

Upvote 0

IDKwhattodo

It's not just above size, it's about how active they are. For example, bettas can live in tanks as small as 5 gallons even though they're bigger than a lot of tetras because they're slow swimming solitary fish. Fast schooling fish need more space because they're more active. They need more room to display natural behaviours.
aww man I really wanted them to be in my tank

Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

aww man I really wanted them to be in my tank
How big is it? There's plenty of small schooling fish suitable for 10-20 gallon tanks.

Upvote 0

IDKwhattodo

How big is it? There's plenty of small schooling fish suitable for 10-20 gallon tanks.
my tank is 17 gallons. But I really wanted a combo of 2 angelfish and 4 rainbow boesemani. I know that neon tetras are good. Shoot I got sidetracked again I need to work on my homewrok

Upvote 0

BlackOsprey

my tank is 17 gallons. But I really wanted a combo of 2 angelfish and 4 rainbow boesemani. I know that neon tetras are good. Shoot I got sidetracked again I need to work on my homewrok
Yeaaaaah if you want angelfish you're gonna want a 40-50 gallon minimum.

Upvote 0

GuppyGal7

Yeah, angelfish are a definite no go. So are neon tetras. They need a minimum of 20 gallons. Ember tetras will be fine in 17 gallons. For a centerpiece fish, what about a betta or pair of honey gouramis?

Upvote 0

Freshfishguy

Also your information on your profile says that you don’t use any water conditioner. If that’s the case, you need to get water conditioner ASAP, water straight from the tap has chlorine or chloramine depending on where you live, which will kill fish.

Your information also says that you have the tank at 27 degrees Celsius, which is wayyyyyy too high for goldfish. Goldfish are cold water fish, and shouldn’t be kept in anything warmer than 23 degrees, but best between 19-21 degrees. Also, the smallest tank a goldfish can be in is 20 gallons by itself, because they produce so much waste.

Bristlenose plecos, which it says you have 2 of in the 17 gallon need 30 gallons minimum. The barbs also shouldn’t be in your tank honestly. I would rehome the fish and research some fish that work for your current tank size, if you want stocking suggestions we can help!

Also boesemani can get pretty large in addition to being very active fish, they can push 5 inches. Fully grown, I would definitely not consider them small fish.

Upvote 0

IDKwhattodo

Also your information on your profile says that you don’t use any water conditioner. If that’s the case, you need to get water conditioner ASAP, water straight from the tap has chlorine or chloramine depending on where you live, which will kill fish.

Your information also says that you have the tank at 27 degrees Celsius, which is wayyyyyy too high for goldfish. Goldfish are cold water fish, and shouldn’t be kept in anything warmer than 23 degrees, but best between 19-21 degrees. Also, the smallest tank a goldfish can be in is 20 gallons by itself, because they produce so much waste.

Bristlenose plecos, which it says you have 2 of in the 17 gallon need 30 gallons minimum. The barbs also shouldn’t be in your tank honestly. I would rehome the fish and research some fish that work for your current tank size, if you want stocking suggestions we can help!

Also boesemani can get pretty large in addition to being very active fish, they can push 5 inches. Fully grown, I would definitely not consider them small fish.
Oh but I always buy freshwater without chlorine. That is my main water source. The temperature is changed and is currently 23 Celcius because that was a couple of weeks ago maybe it's still warm back then. Denison barbs and the bristle nose haven't grown yet so I'm still thinking where they would go. Also, I didn't want them in my tank my father bought them by surprise and I don't want to sell them back because it would make too much fuss. I will take them back when this virus goes away. Sorry for not updating my tank status. Oh yeah about the fish waste I have a really good filtration system (132 Gallons per hour) and change the water often

Upvote 0

MacZ

Outside North America chlorine in tapwater is not the norm but the exception.

Also: Don't trust the profiles when it comes to any readings. Any test readings including temp are just momentary glimpses of a tank, not permanently fixed numbers.

Upvote 0

IDKwhattodo

Oh but I always buy freshwater without chlorine. That is my main water source. The temperature is changed and is currently 23 Celcius because that was a couple of weeks ago maybe it's still warm back then. Denison barbs and the bristlenose haven't grown yet so I'm still thinking where they would go. Also, I didn't want them in my tank my father bought them by surprise and I don't want to sell them back because it would make too much fuss. I will take them back when this virus goes away. Sorry for not updating my tank status.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe