Why Do I Have Such Bad Luck With Mollies?

1. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

The only fish I've had that continuously get sick are mollies. Now I have a white molly that has swim bladder disease. I've had 4 Mollies before her that have gotten really sick. I've fed her peas, parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 20 Nitrate, tank mates are 2 Angelfish, 6 Bronze cories, 5 Nerite snails, another molly, a guppy, and a clown pleco. Can anyone tell me why I can't keep mollies correctly? I know they like brackish better, but I've read that they can successfully be kept in fresh.

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Unless were your getting them is getting in poor stock, mollies should be any easy fish to keep. I heard the do better in brackish water too but have only ever kept them in freshwater. Just out of curiosity, what is your ph? If its real low that might be another possibility.

3. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

The ph of my tank is 8.0. The weird thing with my ph is the tap is 7.6, but in my tank it's 8.0.

And another thing, my local petsmart is the only place that carries the mollies, so that might also be a possibility.

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Well ph isnt the issue, anything over 7.0 is acceptable for the them. If it was poor water quality i would expect the angelfish to be affected first. If i had to guess its simply just a case of poor petsmart fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

It must be, because my mollies are the only fish in the tank that ever get sick.