Why do I even go in there...? (PetCo)

azazelsfyre

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Idk my petco is fantastic and their fish are always well taken care of.

ilovemyfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had sent a message to PetCo..Heres what it said:

I am leaving a comment regarding the care of your Bettas. I recently visited your store and could'nt help but stop and look at you Bettas. I was bewildered at the sight of poor dying Bettas. Especially the fact that their living in a small plastic cup! You guys should know that the minimun space a betta need is 2.5 galons, not a cup! Most of your Bettas were half dead, and the healthier looking ones probablly didnt have long till' they got sick too! I think you should have small two gallon aquariums for each betta, instead of small plastic cups..plus you need to do weekly water changes for the fish. There are lots of topics on FishLore.com that talks about the poor condition the Bettas are in at PetCo and PetSmart! I garuntee you have lost lots of customers.....Please work on the conditions on your Bettas. Thanks

frankfair

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with the theor about the big chain pet stores. I have had horrible luch with their fish. I started keeping fish again about four month ago. mOriginally I stocked my tanks with chain store community fish and lost about 2/3 of them. I started buying on line from aquabid and reputable suppliers and have not lost another fish!

Since we are discussing the big two i will add another critique. A couple of weeks ago I wanted a Dwarf Puffer so went to Petsmart. Was told they didn't carry them since the would not live in fresh water!!!

Wally World normally carried them but were out. The order 6 for arrival the next week. Was waiting for them when they came in and only one of the six seemed healthy! I did buy that one and it seems to be doing well.

Werewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ilovemyfishies said:
I had sent a message to PetCo..Heres what it said:

I am leaving a comment regarding the care of your Bettas. I recently visited your store and couldnt help but stop and look at you Bettas. I was bewildered at the sight of poor dying Bettas. Especially the fact that their living in a small plastic cup! You guys should know that the minimun space a betta need is 2.5 galons, not a cup! Most of your Bettas were half dead, and the healthiER looking ones probablly didnt have long till they got sick too! I think you should have small 2 gallon aquariums for each betta, instead of small plastic cups..plus you needto do weekly water changes for the fish. There are lots of topics on FishLore.com that talks about the poor condition the Bettas are in at PetCo and PetSmart! I garuntee you have lots lots of customers.....Please work on the conditions on your Bettas. Thanks
Intent: A+
Content: A
Grammar/Syntax: C+
Spelling: D

I've no idea how old you are or how educated but a word to the wise. When communicating by writing to those you wish to inform, educate, complain etc. who are professionals - well - to put it bluntly - writing skills matter. If one doesn't write well the intended audience will toss your communication into file 13 pretty darn quick.

If by chance you are a young'un there's no shame at all in asking your parents to proof what you've written. And believe me they will appreciate you asking for their help.

Schools teach writing skills for a reason.

chrisgoforth

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just to throw my 2 cents worth in here. I am not a Betta guy but I have noticed that at the Pet Smart I go to some of the individuals working the fish section are very knowledgeable (or I dont know any better yet ). I talked to one gal who was in her early to mid 20's that knew everything about the nitrogen cycle and asked a lot of questions about tank size and filtration prior to even starting to bag the fish I wanted. She said she would not (not that the store wouldn't) sell anyone a fish she did not feel was a good fit to their tank size as well as other fish in the tank. She was even willing to admit she knew vary little about Saltwater fish but said if I needed Saltwater advice she would get someone who would.
I have only ever seen 1 dead fish in any tank and it looked VERY fresh. Without even saying a word this same employee noticed while walking by and immediately grabbed a net and pulled it out. She then proceeded to examine the fish on the prep table (i assume to determine how it died). The next day I was in there the same tank had the price tags removed with a sign saying the fish were under observation and not for sale (hand written sign).
As for the Betta's I have never seen a dead one or even a sick looking one. They are not stored in cups but in small glass bowls. Still to small but I have heard employees ask people if they have larger tanks at home and suggest larger tanks for them (might be a sales gimmick but whatever works).
As for petco I will never buy anything but supplies from them. Their tanks always have several dead fish in them.

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thing is they will not change the way they sell these fish,the more you buy the more they will get.the only way to solve this problem is to stop buying and just move on with things.the market out there is just to demanding to even try to stop this.buy on line and not from box stores.they wont stop if people are still buying them that way.get it?

ilovemyfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Werewolf said:
Intent: A+
Content: A
Grammar/Syntax: C+
Spelling: D

I've no idea how old you are or how educated but a word to the wise. When communicating by writing to those you wish to inform, educate, complain etc. who are professionals - well - to put it bluntly - writing skills matter. If one doesn't write well the intended audience will toss your communication into file 13 pretty darn quick.

If by chance you are a young'un there's no shame at all in asking your parents to proof what you've written. And believe me they will appreciate you asking for their help.

Schools teach writing skills for a reason.
Well sorry, im only 13 and just trying to help the cause. I am well educated, i am just really bad about hitting the wrong key when typing; also my spacebar does not work very well. No need to call anyone uneducated..geeze.. >

mizz_pyro

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ilovemyfishies said:
Well sorry, im only 13 and just trying to help the cause. I am well educated, i am just really bad about hitting the wrong key when typing; also my spacebar does not work very well. No need to call anyone uneducated..geeze.. >
Werewolf probably wasnt calling you uneducated. he was just trying to give you some advice on how to improve your letter. dont take it as a bad thing, its actually good that hes trying to tell you what might be wrong with it. everyone makes mistakes when typing or writing. even i do and im 19.

Werewolf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mizz_pyro said:
Werewolf probably wasnt calling you uneducated. he was just trying to give you some advice on how to improve your letter. dont take it as a bad thing, its actually good that hes trying to tell you what might be wrong with it. everyone makes mistakes when typing or writing. even i do and im 19.
Thanks, Pyro...

Improvement was exactly the point. When a problem exists it cannot be corrected unless the situation is known to be a problem.

A letter to PetCo is to be lauded. Fishies letter was full of facts and great content.

[old man lecture mode on]
That said if a written communication is presented in a manner that will either be discarded without review or not taken seriously then it will have no chance to produce the result the author seeks. Thus, in this case, PetCo cannot fix a problem it doesn't know about (they may not fix 'em anyway but that's another thread entirely).

The reality is that many professionals just will not waste time reading a written communication that is poorly presented. Resume's are an excellent example of this. When reviewing them most will not bother to read past the 1st entry if it is not well written, spelling is correct, grammar meets language standards etc. Harsh? Not really. The ability to write well is a very strong indicator of education and intelligence as well as attention to detail and a willingness to go the extra mile to produce something correct and presentable regardless of the subject.

To the unitiated it may seem a bit superficial to discard or disregard a communication just because it is poorly presented. Unfortunately for those with poor writing skills it is a fact of life. In fishies case he or she could have just noted at the outset that they were 13 and I can practically guarantee the email would have been read and probably replied to. Without that caveat the communication is just coming from some yahoo who doesn't care enough about the issue to write using correct grammar or even engage the spell check before pressing the send button.

[/old man lecture mode off]
It behooves us all to learn to write well, especially our young ones who are still in school.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, I leave for a day of so, and now we are all learning how to write XD Lol

Presentation is indeed a very important part of writing, so is spelling and grammar (neither of which I have very often LOL). No body was trying to be rude, its just that its hard to show tone over the internet (unless you add random sarcastic comments like I do :giggle. We all have our fail moments. It happens to the best of us >.<

Any who, back on topic! How long should I give PetCo to fix their **** before I start talking to the manager?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No offense, but to suggest to a store that they keep bettas in 2 gallon tanks is a bit silly. These are temporary homes for them, and nobody will expend the space or expense to keep each one in a 2 gallon home, nor is it necessary.

Please remember that if the suggestions you make aren't reasonable, they are likely to be ignored. What is suitable temporarily for a fish is VERY different than what is suitable as a permanent habitat.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
Please remember that if the suggestions you make aren't reasonable, they are likely to be ignored. What is suitable temporarily for a fish is VERY different than what is suitable as a permanent habitat.
+1

ilovemyfishies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh well, i tryed. Lol ;D

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
No offense, but to suggest to a store that they keep bettas in 2 gallon tanks is a bit silly. These are temporary homes for them, and nobody will expend the space or expense to keep each one in a 2 gallon home, nor is it necessary.

My LFS keeps them in 1 gallon filtered tanks and this is the best I think they will get in the LFS...no heaters but they are away from drafts in a warm area.
I think 2 gallon for a pet shop is a little over the top as far as a business standpoint.

Man- Diva- you must have a super Petco- mine stinks compared to yours.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ilovemyfishies said:
Oh well, i tryed. Lol ;D
Maybe you could revise it and send it again. Its not like they'll know you have already e-mailed them

kitty2234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Friends,

I just went into a new fish store yesterday and was surprised to see that the male bettas were in 10 gallon communtity type tanks. One male per tank, with only friendly fish like plecos and others. I was happy to see the bettas swimming around.

The place was called 'The Blue Fin,' it was located near Jamestown, NY. I even felt like buying them.

kitty2234

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom