Why Do Cichlids Need A 55 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JKF, Apr 10, 2018.

1. JKFNew MemberMember

Just curious. I was looking around because im interested in starting a Cichlid tank, and it says for a lot of them to get 50+ gallon tanks, even for some that get to be an adult size of 5". I was wondering, why do such small fish need a big tank like that? Could a single Yellow lab (for example) live well in a 30 gallon tank?

2. fishandle

fishandleValued MemberMember

Well, I wouldn't call a 5" fish small, but african cichlids need to be overstocked (12 or more in a 55) to reduce aggression and they need space to swim away from each other when being aggressive. Yes, you could keep one in a 30 gallon, but that doesn't sound as fun as a bunch of community fish, to me anyway.

3. OP
    OP
    J

JKFNew MemberMember

You have a good point! I agree, 1 cichlid doesn't sound nearly as fun as 12 haha. I was just curious why it needed to be so massive!

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Cichlids are pretty social, so I wouldn't keep one alone anyways. If you want cichlids in a smaller tank, you could get some dwarf cichlids like GBRs, Bolivian rams, apistogramma, or kribenesis.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I actually think a 55 is too narrow for a community of African Cichlids, I always recommend a 75 or more, though 55 isn’t unacceptable.

6. fishandle

fishandleValued MemberMember

Watch some videos of AC in 100+ gallon tanks and suddenly a 55 gallon will seem tiny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice