Why Do Cichlids Need A 55 Gallon?

1. J

JKF New Member Member

Just curious. I was looking around because im interested in starting a Cichlid tank, and it says for a lot of them to get 50+ gallon tanks, even for some that get to be an adult size of 5". I was wondering, why do such small fish need a big tank like that? Could a single Yellow lab (for example) live well in a 30 gallon tank?

2. fishandle

fishandle Valued Member Member

Well, I wouldn't call a 5" fish small, but african cichlids need to be overstocked (12 or more in a 55) to reduce aggression and they need space to swim away from each other when being aggressive. Yes, you could keep one in a 30 gallon, but that doesn't sound as fun as a bunch of community fish, to me anyway.

3. OP
    OP
    J

JKF New Member Member

You have a good point! I agree, 1 cichlid doesn't sound nearly as fun as 12 haha. I was just curious why it needed to be so massive!

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Cichlids are pretty social, so I wouldn't keep one alone anyways. If you want cichlids in a smaller tank, you could get some dwarf cichlids like GBRs, Bolivian rams, apistogramma, or kribenesis.

5. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I actually think a 55 is too narrow for a community of African Cichlids, I always recommend a 75 or more, though 55 isn’t unacceptable.

6. fishandle

fishandle Valued Member Member

Watch some videos of AC in 100+ gallon tanks and suddenly a 55 gallon will seem tiny.