Why did our Molly die ?

1. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

We set up a 10g tank on Saturday, using all the gravel, filter, water, etc from a fully cycled 5g tank, and topped up the water with tap water treated with Prime.

Tested the water : 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates (our tap water reads 5 nitrates as is).

Added 3 mollies - 2 females (Salt and Pepper) and 1 male (Spot), and a few ghost shrimp.

Sunday, noticed a few fry (about 1cm each).

Monday afternoon, we noticed that Pepper was lying on the bottom of the tank. Breathing, still moving about a tiny amount.

Monday evening, she was swimming after some food.

This morning (Tuesday), she was dead :(

I took her out, did a water test (ammonia <0.25; nitrite 0.25, nitrate 10) and changed out 50% of the water, added a little extra Prime.

The male and other female, and the fry all seem to be moving about okay, though I admit, I'm worried now.

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

It could just be stress from the water difference. Like for instance I highly highly doubt your water was exactly the same as the fish stores. So it could be something like that or the fish could just have been sick or old already and passed away. I'm not sure exactly, just trying to throw my two cents in.

3. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

Hi PhonicBus. I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like after you added the shrimp and fish (and had babies. Congrats!!) it put the tank into a mini cycle, which sometimes happens when new bio-load is added. You will need to do daily water changes - about 20-25% until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. It shouldn't take too long to get cycled again.

4. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

Tana - that's kind of what I thought, so I wasn't surprised to see some ammonia and nitrites, even if both were only around the 0.25 mark. Previously, the tank (the 5g tank we took all the stuff from) had only housed 1 betta, so this was just more fish, more waste.

:(

My little guy is so disappointed that his fish died.

5. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

I'm sure he is very sad and upset about her passing, but look at the wonderful gift she gave to him before she went to fishy heaven. Something to always remember her by. :;a2 (I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume those where her offspring.)

6. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I'm thinking maybe a combination... The spike (seeing as it wasn't too high) probably just added to the stress of changing water conditions and birth.
    Hopefully everyone else will be fine.

7. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

I hope so too.

Now, it's pretty obvious that the male we have is not likely the father of the fry, I hope (no way to know for sure with a mixed tank at the LFS). Should I get another female (I cannot find my receipt for these ones) or just let the fry grow up and hope the male doesn't pester the current female too much ?

8. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I would wait and feel it out. If you let the fry grow you will have plenty of fish for the tank. If you find that the male is being too aggressive with the female then I would get another adult female.

9. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Personally, I wouldn't get any more fish until your tank is truly cycled. It's only added stress for the fish. Sorry for your loss. Give your little guy a hug from all of us. :;group

10. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

:( The other adult female is now resting on the bottom. She's breathing, and will swim around a bit if the male comes up and bumps into her, but goes back to the bottom again within a minute.

I did another water test (0 ammonia, <0.25 nitrite) and another water change w/ Prime today too.