Why did my very pregnant guppy refuse to go into labor?

JessicaM

She is or should I say was one of my oldest females in my tank. She has given birth many times every pregnancy has been successful. I started to notice that more and more before during and after the last time she had give birth(approx a month ago) that all of my males just seemed to zero in on her. My female to male ratio is fine. My other females actively give birth as well. It seems to be a cycle that once one goes into labor it is a chain reaction. Anyway like I was writing the males day in and out all the time would chase after her never letting up. At times I would isolate her for a bit each day just so she was not in constant distress. I could tell she had become pregnant almost right after her last pregnancy but this time was different she kept getting bigger and bigger and she would hang out at the bottom of the tank just not acting right. Just to add that if I happen to catch any female giving birth or showing the usual signs I will isolate the mother until she is finished, and shorly after place her back into population. So back to Big Mama...I put her in isolation so she hwouldn't be bothered. Iyd0hggdgdfyggyf was jbby. Ģh after getting

Flyfisha

Hi JessicaM
Welcome to fishlore
A female guppy stores the males contribution for at least 3 months she can have at least 3 batches of fry from one dance with one male.
Moving a female is a good way to stress her and stop her having fry. She has control over having the fry alive , aborting the fry or absorbing the fry. Or deciding not to have any fry for the time being. It is said she can store the males contribution for many many months at least according to some people. She is just as likely as any fish to eat the fry. Although juvenile fish are the main offenders .

I don’t think I have really answered your question ? except to say the female is in control of when she has fry .

Upvote 0

EnderKing

I’d agree with flyfisha my fish don’t get fry until I feed them brine shrimp so maybe try that. Oh and welcome to fishlore

Upvote 0

emeraldking

Well, are you sure she's pregnant and not having an internal problem. Maybe a swim bladder problem?
At some point a female stops becoming pregnant when old age is in play. And btw, the sperm packet storage is even over a year and not a couple of months. I can assure you that after three months after a mating, that she's still carrying sperm packets in the folds of the fallopian tube.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • SamanthaJane
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
SamanthaJane
  • Question
  • Adespoy6
  • Guppy
Replies