Why did my platy die?

1. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

I recently added a few new fish to my aquarium about 3 days ago. All them have been doing good. However, when I woke up this morning one of the blue Micky mouse platys was sitting on the bottom in a corner. I assumed that one was a female due to the blue not being as vibrant as that other but this morning she was totally pale with dark almost black splotches on her body. She would swim erratic then his. She was floating around so I put her in a net. That way I won't lose her and other fish won't get her. I'm not sure what happened to her. I didn't see ich on any of the fish and the rest are doing fine. The other platys are still a bit shy but I'm assuming that's normal.

If anyone has some insight on what happened, I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first time keeping platys.

Water parameters:
    pH: 7.4-7.6
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Temp.: 75°
    My tank is well established.

Attached Files:

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

How did you introduce the fish to the tank? If they were slowly acclimated and you saw no sign of disease, it is really difficult to say. There is always the possibility that the fish came to you unhealthy or that the LFS water parameters were just way off. Either way, sorry for the loss. :-/

3. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

Phishphin I let the bag float for awhile. Then added some of my water. I could have acclimated them better but I've never had a problem with fish from this particular store. The others are doing fine right now so hopefully it was just that one fish. Thank you!

Sent from my XT907 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Jim Well Known Member Member

As stated above, could have been bad luck. Fish are like people, some are sick; some are healthy. Sorry

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You didn't quarantine the new fish?

6. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

endlercollector I don't have a place to quarantine.

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear that you cannot set up a QT. Keep a close eye on your remaining fish.

8. rachelespinoza Initiate Member

Thanks!