Why did my molly only have 2 babies and she still looks preggo?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by FishLuver, Apr 13, 2010.

1. FishLuverValued MemberMember

My s/f molly looks like she's been preggo over a month now, and I noticed she did give birth to 2 babies, but she still looks huge!
    The male molly still chases her all the time. No other fish pick on her as they both are the largest in the tank.

Heres my info:
    46 gal
    0 amonia, 0.3 nitrite, 79 degrees celcius.
    Light is turned off at night for about 9 hours.
    Weekly water change 25%
    Use water conditioner and bio-support

Will she have more babies? And how long does it take?

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

welcome to fishlore!!
    Could be a combo of a few things....the tanks not cycled yet and daily water changes should be done to get it cycled....and she could be stressed from all the different fish in the tank.....or she could have had more and ate them .....goodluck with her!

3. FishLuverValued MemberMember

Thanks for the info, and how do you know when the tank is cycled? Is algae a sign? I clean algae off the glass every tank chance, hence why I bought a bristlenose. Are there any definite signs it's cycled?

Also, after I had noticed that she had 2 babies, I thought maybe the male was bothering her and that was why she stopped, so I put her in one of those beta separators (but without the separators) so that no other fish could bother her. But after a few days I took her out because she wasnt giving birth and probably wanted to swim!

Thanks!

4. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

you will know when the tank has 0 for ammonia/nitrites and under 20 nitrates.....putting her in her own area is a great idea!

5. FishLuverValued MemberMember

What is the difference between nitrites and nitrates? My Nitrite levels are at 0.3 always.

6. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

having anything but a 0 reading for nitrites, means the tank still isnt cycled and sometimes a small water change will kick it in ...do you have any nitrates? and have you tested your tap water to make sure it doesnt have ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in that? nitrites are dangerous to fish and nitrates are the cycled bacteria when all your ammonia/nitrites have been processed

7. FishLuverValued MemberMember

Thats news to me because on the Nitrite kit manual it tells me the lowest reading is 0.3 and it says that's where it's supposed to be. Everytime I test it before a water change it's always 0.3

Is there a different test kit for nitrates? The fish store told me that's all I needed, and possibly a pH test kit if I needed, so I grabbed the nitrite and amonia kits for now.