Why did my Gold Nugget Pleco die?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Dean, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DeanValued MemberMember

:confused:I had two Gold Nugget Plecos (L177) but one just passed away. I've had them for about 4 months and all seemed well. Last night I did a water change(Nitrate about 10, everything else was 0). When doing the change, I accidently pulled out my small airstone and didn't feel like putting it back in. I don't alway use it, just when I notice the fish swimming towards the top of the tank. It has been running for about 2 weeks though. Do you think that not having the bubbles going for one day caused my pleco to die? The other Nugget is still alive and apears tp be fine(i did have to pick up the drift wood to find him) but I didn't get to see him(?) swim around although he did squirm around under the wood a little bit. I don't feed them anything other then what I feed my other fish(flakes in AM, Frozen in PM). I do put veggies in from time to time. Any thoughts? I don't want to lose my other Pleco.

2. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

what are his tank mates?

3. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

11 Cardinal Tetras
    3 Red Wag Tail Platys
    9 Oto's (but have only seen two the last few weeks...)
    7 Praecox Rainbows
    2 Opaline Gourami (and 4 babies)
    1 Gold Nugget Pleco L177

edit: had to take the "s" of pleco

4. Morgan111

Morgan111Well Known MemberMember

it doesnt see as though his tank mates could have killed him..... and all of the water parameters are good? enough algae for him?

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

As long as you have good surface water movement then oxygen shouldn't be an issue. If you are noticing your fish going to the surface and gulping (so to speak) for air then I suggest that you leave the air supply line/air stone running 24/7. Around the clock. If the fish are going to the surface for air then I'm certain the fish are being stressed due to lack of oxygen. Stress may lead to other diseases.

I'm not familiar with the filtration you have on your tanks so I can't say how much surface area movement your tank has.

What are you feeding the Pleco's? They need more than just algae to eat so I feed mine slices of zucchini, algae wafers algae tablets.

So sorry you lost the Pleco :(

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

a48, They don't usally stay at the top, only every once in a while. There hasn't been a ton of algae and that might be why my Oto's have been disapearing. I use a Ehiem ecco filter. It give some surface movement but not tons. When not runnning bubbles I position the out take at the top of the water to stimulate the surface. I didn't do that this time because I filled the tank pretty high. Do you think that might have been the cause or the food issue?
    From what I've read about Gold Nugget Plecos is that they are mainly wood and meat eaters and that they don't really eat algae. Since I feed frozen food every night I asume that thet get some scraps at night and they eat wood all day. I have two pretty big peices of wood in there.

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Dean,

Anytime your fish are gasping for air it isn't good.

Did you notice that the fish was losing weight? Feeding your fish a variety of food is always best. I believe Plecos actually use the wood to help in their digestion. I wouldn't count on that as being a staple food for your fish.

Yes, you are correct that Pleco's will forage around looking for scraps but that doesn't mean they always find some. Zucchini really seems to be a favorite for mine and algae wafers.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

the pleco didn't seen to have a sunken belly. I guess I should put some algae wafers or something in the tank till i get more green algae. I do have a lot of the brown carpet looking algae growing on one of the pieces of wood. Will they(nugget and otos) eat that stuff? The gouramis seem to pick at that more then any other fish I've seen.

9. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

this is from planetcatfish.com for L177 Gold Nugget Pleco: Feeding- Omnivorous - will eat both vegetable, periphyton and meaty foods. Prepared food such as algae wafers and household vegetables such as beans or courgette(zucchini), as well as live or frozen bloodworms for example.

a48, So meaty foods are good but I do need to add more veggie's to it's diet. I've never done much more then lettuce, squash, and zucchini before but mostly lettuce. What kind of beans are good and do you have other suggestions?

So in your opinion, do you think the death was due to food, oxygen or a combination?

10. allibobs

allibobsWell Known MemberMember

Hiya,

we have a golden nugget that killed 2 other pleco's a Flash pleco and a marble spot pleco!

He now is the only pleco in my community tank and he seem's happier and is out and about more too.

11. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

So maybe it was a murder? Hmm... The smaller Nugget one the fight. Interesting? Tough little guy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice