Why Did My Ember Tetras Die?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by calmw16, Apr 19, 2017.

1. calmw16

calmw16Valued MemberMember

I bought 6 ember tetras 2 weeks ago and over that time they slowly died off. I'm looking to see if I can determine why so I can try again with success. Water parameters are good at 0-0-10 and it is a fully cycled tank. A guppy had been living in it fine for a month previously and is still doing great never having any problems. Temp is at 78 and there are a couple plants as well as rocks for hiding places. I have the aqueon 10 gal led hood starter kit and I fed them flake food. The last one seemed to have ich when it died but that was the only one that I noticed with it. The others just turned pale before they died. Anybody have a plausible explanation of why? Never checked water kH so could that be it or could my water flow be too high? Otherwise could they all have died from ich and it just wasn't as noticeable? Could it be some other disease? I just have no clue after researching this for a week and need help. Thanks

2. MD_Plants

MD_PlantsWell Known MemberMember

maybe they all had a parasite or illness. watch your guppy for a while.

3. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

It could be a lot of things including a long list of illnesses, bad batch, etc.
    Do you have any pictures?

4. OP
    OP
    calmw16

This is a picture of one before it died. I don't have a pic of the one that had ich spots.[​IMG]

5. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Only way to know for sure is by doing an autopsy on the fish and taking skin and gill samples etc...
    I dont think you can kill fish because you have a certain pH, the Guppy would be also dead if that was the case.
    Sounds like they were all sick already, look for the guppy, he may get ich.

6. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

What is your PH and hardness?
    Guppies like high ph and hardness.
    Tetras like the exact opposite.

7. OP
    OP
    calmw16

pH is 7.6 but I don't know the hardness

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice