Why did my crayfish molt 2 times in a month?

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by FishLuver, Apr 14, 2010.

1. FishLuverValued MemberMember

My crayfish molted 2 weeks ago, and then again. I was reading that they usually molt once a month.

I also read that idodide helps the molting process, but I can't put that in my tank because there are fish in my tank! So if anything, I would of thought that the crayfish would molt less often?? Twice a month seems like a lot for not having the proper accomodations for him??

Is it normal for him to do that, no big deal?

Thanks

Heres my info:
    46 gal
    0 amonia, 0.3 nitrite, 79 degrees celcius.
    Light is turned off at night for about 9 hours.
    Weekly water change 25%
    Use water conditioner and bio-support

2. pepetjWell Known MemberMember

For some reason your invert molted twice in a month. If its behavior is within what is expected and your water parameters are within range I wouldn't worry about it. Some SW inverts molt due to stress maybe FW do the same; this could be normal (for tank kept) outgrowing their exoskeleton due to nutrient rich diet.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

How much do you feed your crayfish? The molt to grow their bodies because they have an exoskeleton. So if he is getting lots of food and is growing quickly molting can occure like this.

4. FishLuverValued MemberMember

I feed the fish twice a day, he eats what falls to the bottom. I do have pellets that sink but I find I dont need to use them because he just eats the flakes that sink. Oh and he ate his exoskeleton both times! He has a nice cave to hang out in, so he seems pretty happy.

Thanks for the info!

5. FishLuverValued MemberMember

Do you also keep your crayfish in with your other fish? Has it ever ate any of your fish?

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Young crays molt much more often then older ones do. is yours a baby?

7. FishLuverValued MemberMember

Yes, he has been in the tank with my fish since day one lol I knew the possibility tha he would eat my fish was there, but he hasn't ate one fish. When a fish comes near him, he actually looks scared lol

8. FishLuverValued MemberMember

Ya, he is just a baby. He's probably about 4" in length now.

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

4 inches isnt a baby...i got my blue cray when she was the size of a ghost shrimp :)

what is your water temp? warmer water speeds up their growth rate.

10. FishLuverValued MemberMember

Really! lol I thought he was a baby :p Ya, I paid $20 for him, so I'm not sure if that tells you the size he was when I got him??

The temp is set at 78. I know they like cooler water, but my fish like warmer, so I thought I'd try a happy medium.

How big is your crayfish? Does he eat your fish?

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Mine are kept in warm water as well. They are about 4 inches i guess, not including claws. The dwarf crayfish is about 1.5 inches.

I keep my crays with barbs, which they cannot catch, so no they don't eat my fish. Pretty much everything else gets eaten.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice