Why did my crayfish molt 2 times in a month?

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My crayfish molted 2 weeks ago, and then again. I was reading that they usually molt once a month.

I also read that idodide helps the molting process, but I can't put that in my tank because there are fish in my tank! So if anything, I would of thought that the crayfish would molt less often?? Twice a month seems like a lot for not having the proper accomodations for him??

Is it normal for him to do that, no big deal?

Thanks

Heres my info:
46 gal
0 amonia, 0.3 nitrite, 79 degrees celcius.
Light is turned off at night for about 9 hours.
Weekly water change 25%
Use water conditioner and bio-support

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For some reason your invert molted twice in a month. If its behavior is within what is expected and your water parameters are within range I wouldn't worry about it. Some SW inverts molt due to stress maybe FW do the same; this could be normal (for tank kept) outgrowing their exoskeleton due to nutrient rich diet.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How much do you feed your crayfish? The molt to grow their bodies because they have an exoskeleton. So if he is getting lots of food and is growing quickly molting can occure like this.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed the fish twice a day, he eats what falls to the bottom. I do have pellets that sink but I find I dont need to use them because he just eats the flakes that sink. Oh and he ate his exoskeleton both times! He has a nice cave to hang out in, so he seems pretty happy.

Thanks for the info!

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How much do you feed your crayfish? The molt to grow their bodies because they have an exoskeleton. So if he is getting lots of food and is growing quickly molting can occure like this.
Do you also keep your crayfish in with your other fish? Has it ever ate any of your fish?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Young crays molt much more often then older ones do. is yours a baby?

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you also keep your crayfish in with your other fish? Has it ever ate any of your fish?
Yes, he has been in the tank with my fish since day one lol I knew the possibility tha he would eat my fish was there, but he hasn't ate one fish. When a fish comes near him, he actually looks scared lol

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
4 inches isnt a baby...i got my blue cray when she was the size of a ghost shrimp

what is your water temp? warmer water speeds up their growth rate.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
4 inches isnt a baby...i got my blue cray when she was the size of a ghost shrimp

what is your water temp? warmer water speeds up their growth rate.
Really! lol I thought he was a baby Ya, I paid $20 for him, so I'm not sure if that tells you the size he was when I got him??

The temp is set at 78. I know they like cooler water, but my fish like warmer, so I thought I'd try a happy medium.

How big is your crayfish? Does he eat your fish?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really! lol I thought he was a baby Ya, I paid $20 for him, so I'm not sure if that tells you the size he was when I got him??

The temp is set at 78. I know they like cooler water, but my fish like warmer, so I thought I'd try a happy medium.

How big is your crayfish? Does he eat your fish?
Mine are kept in warm water as well. They are about 4 inches i guess, not including claws. The dwarf crayfish is about 1.5 inches.

I keep my crays with barbs, which they cannot catch, so no they don't eat my fish. Pretty much everything else gets eaten.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom