Why did my Cory die?

Tonypeppers11

Reaction score
One of my 4 panda Corys died in 15 gallon tank and I can’t figure out why. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 5-10. Using api master test kit. They all seemed fine yesterday, I saw one swim up to the top and then sort of fall to the ground. I tried moving him and spazzed up and swam to some plants and then fell in them on his side and stopped moving and breathing all together. This is the first fish I’ve lost about 3 months in. I’ve had him for about 6 weeks. There is also a guppy some tetras and a hillstream loach who all seem very happy. As far as I could tell he was eating normally with my other pandas.
No spots or fin damage at all couldn’t see any illness on him. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Tank has Ada Amazonia soil and is heavily planted.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you move him by touching him?

Corys will shoot up to the top of the tank grab a breath and go back down, this is normal behavior.

OP
Tonypeppers11

Tonypeppers11

Reaction score
I gently moved him but it was very clear he was dead. After being non responsive for 5+ minutes I tried rolling him over and eventually took him out with a net. This was not normal Cory behavior at all

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was talking about when you said you moved him and then he “spazzed”. How did you move him?

What I described is normal cory behavior. Obviously this cory was not okay because it died, but them shooting to the top for air is normal and not why it died.

OP
Tonypeppers11

Tonypeppers11

Reaction score
LivebearerMom said:
I was talking about when you said you moved him and then he “spazzed”. How did you move him?

What I described is normal cory behavior. Obviously this cory was not okay because it died, but them shooting to the top for air is normal and not why it died.
after him lying for a little I lightly tapped next to him with my aqua scraping tweezers

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe pandas are sometimes a bit sensitive... what temperature r u keepin your tank at? I believe they like low 70’s

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Two of my corydorus trilineatus had very similar symptoms back in January, and they also died. The other 8 never showed any symptoms, and are all still doing fine.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Had you done a water change recently? Have you tested ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Ph?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is a species that is a bit sensitive. You want to be sure that they are captive bred.
Captive bred panda corie prefer a low ph 7.2 at the max, and 72 degrees at the max. and a school of like 8 or more.

If you have purchased wild caught ones, they reall need 6.0-7.0 ph MAX and even lowere tempurature.

New Threads