Why Did He Die? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by jazzy180, May 19, 2019.

1. jazzy180 New Member Member

I had a Crowntail Betta fish that died about a month ago now and I still don't know why he died. When I first noticed that he was acting off, it was because he wasn't moving much or eating. The same day I decided to test the water, everything seemed to be fine the nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and ph level were all where they were supposed to be but I changed around 70% of the water anyway. (It was a 20-gallon tank with 1 betta, 3 panda cory catfish, 5 neon tetras, and 1 guppy) The next day he was even worse, bumping into things and letting the bubbler and the current push him around. I put him into a sick tank to prevent the other fishes from dying too. I watched and studied him carefully and he started to eat and move around again. And the next day he went back to how he was before not moving or eating, he even rested himself in between the suction cup and the heater so he didn't have to move, I had thought he died at this point. But the next day when I woke up he really was dead. His death still makes me sad to this day because I had him for only a week and he was still really young. I don't know what had caused his death because the water, the temperature were fine and he looked healthy from the outside. To this day everyone else in the tank is fine and it was only him who died. UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d72.jpg

2. Starflyr3 Valued Member Member

I’m no expert, but his scales look a little pineconed. Did he look spikier after this and before he died?

Pineconing is dropsy, and it usually is the result of organ failure. I think.

But that’s just my (noob) guess

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. jazzy180 New Member Member

Yeah, he looked a lot spikier; that picture was taken before it happened and these were taken just before he died. I'm kind of thinking that maybe he had fin rot.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_db0.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_db1.jpg