Why Carbon?

kabir366
Could somebody tell me the benefits of carbon in filtration?

COBettaCouple
Carbon removes chemicals from the water. It's useful when you want to clear medicine or something like that out of the water. If you use it constantly, it needs replaced frequently to avoid it releasing everything it captured back into the water. We use it only when we need it, for a day at the most but that's the only time we put carbon in the filters.

kabir366
I use water conditioners like prime, so should I use carbon? lets suppose I use a medicine when adding new fish or while doing partial water change, now when should I use carbon?
I am just confused!!!

COBettaCouple
I would recommend just running carbon for a few hours after you've finished a course of meds to clear the remaining meds out. That's the only time we use carbon in ours.

Trpimp147
my filter has carbon in it like with the floss

kabir366
I would recommend just running carbon for a few hours after you've finished a course of meds to clear the remaining meds out. That's the only time we use carbon in ours.

And then wat do we do? Re-Use the same carbon next time? How long can we use the carbon at one time? When do we know that the carbon needs to be replaced with the new one? Do we need to wash the carbon before use every time?

COBettaCouple
We'll toss carbon once it's been activated and used. I wouldn't use carbon after it's been used once.

The length carbon can be used varies on the quality of it. Some will wear out in a week or less, the good stuff can last as long as 6-8 weeks.

Smell is one thing that tells you when carbon needs replaced, but it's better to replace it on a regular schedule.

And then wat do we do? Re-Use the same carbon next time? How long can we use the carbon at one time? When do we know that the carbon needs to be replaced with the new one? Do we need to wash the carbon before use every time?

jsalemi
And yea, a quick rinse before putting the carbon into the tank gets rid of the carbon dust so it doesn't get out into the filter or the tank itself.

COBettaCouple
That's true. I like to dunk it in a container of treated tap water.
And yea, a quick rinse before putting the carbon into the tank gets rid of the carbon dust so it doesn't get out into the filter or the tank itself.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
Replies