Why Can't I Have More Fish.....

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres been a lot of overcrowding issues and discussions around the board lately so I thought I would post this article. It will answer alot of questions I think
https://bestfish.com/overcrowding/
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Excellent article Carol. Thank you for posting it.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks, Carol. That was long needed. We have a lot of folks wanting fish and many of them do not have room for them. It is important that we all know that there are consequences that we may be asking the fish to pay for our actions.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks carol. Very good article and much needed info. Natalie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad it was helpful.
Carol

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow, Thanks,

This explained so much!!!

We have a male swordtail that we raised from a batch of fry who got sick and it was a constant process of medicating for ich and when the ich started to ease, it was fungus. This kept on happening for weeks - needless to say despite the frequent water changes, the water quality always deteriorated rapidly with fry dying etc. He was the only one that survived (and was our favorite from the beginning as he is an almost transparent swordtail with a thin black stripe on his sword)

He's tough, but he has never fully grown. despite the fact that his sword is developed, he's very small for his age (1 Year) and has not managed to reproduce at all.

This article has made me understand a little better why he's this way

Thanks much,
Buzz

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad it answered some questions Buzz.
Carol

robby270

Reaction score
Bravo Carol, Bravo. You deserve a cookie..... well actually virtual cookies are bad for your computer so....... anyways you deserve something sweet.

About time some one posted that, after all i've heard 1 inch per gallon which in my opinion is rediculious (sry my spelling) i fell sorry for any 30 inch pacu in a 30 gallon tank.

Once again bravo Carol, brovo.

robby270

Reaction score
(sigh) all that waste build up, all those lives lost, all the money spent, all that effort wasted, such is the price of over crowding fish.

Bravo Carol, bravo

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya I always think it's weird how people say they can have a pirahana in a 20 gallon tank, the one inch per gallon rule is good for fish that are 3-4" or under (correct me if I'm wrong)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats why I always specify along with the 1 inch per gallon to consider the mass of the fish. That formula may work for neons but not oscars, clown loaches etc.
Carol

river

Reaction score
Many years ago when I was a newbie keeping fish I bought a ten gallon tank.  I bought the cutest blood parrots, two.  The lady that sold them to me said that they would'nt get that big.  That it would be ok in the ten gallon tank.  As these fish grew and grew I continued to purchase larger tanks.  A 20 gallon, then a 40 gallon, a 55 gallon.  By now we were wondering just how big they were going to get. Two add to our growing fish we added two more blood parrots.  My husband said now we should buy a larger tank.  So he bought me a 125 gallon tank.  Blood parrots are messy eaters.  I have two large fluval filters one at each end of the tank.    The moral of this story.  Do your homework first. Read up on the fish BEFORE buying them.  See how big they will get, what they like to eat ect.  Another thing is always buy the largest tank that you can afford.  By the way my Blood parrots are seven inches long and very plump.  I guess they like the food that I feed them.
River

jason in houston

Reaction score
WOW!! i thought DONT grow to the size of the tank! now i know!

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just reminds me of a story to tell. It was mean and stupid, my bro-in-law and myself were mad at my father-in-law for days because of this.

My bro-in-law gave my father-in-law a 55gal tall aquarium. Good enough for a few nice cichlids.

Well, he decided to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard. He stocked that tank of 46 different fishes. From tetras to cichlids. We told him he can't do that, he said he didn't care he liked it like that.

I was so mad. Fishes started dying left and right. How stupid was he??

Shrimpy

Valued Member
Reaction score
That article will helo a lot of hobbiests good job

f_i_e_a

Reaction score
I recently bought a 10 gallon tank after winning a few goldish at a fair.  It has already cycled and I decided to add a few more since the tank looked a bit empty.  At the moment, I have two fantail goldfish (one 2" and one 1"), one 2" chinese algae eater, one 2" mollie, and a little 1" albino cory cat.   I do plan on getting a 20 or 30 gallon tank in a few months since I figure my goldfish will be growing quite a bit.  But is my tank considered overstocked since goldfish are so dirty?

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently bought a 10 gallon tank after winning a few goldish at a fair. It has already cycled and I decided to add a few more since the tank looked a bit empty. At the moment, I have two fantail goldfish (one 2" and one 1"), one 2" chinese algae eater, one 2" mollie, and a little 1" albino cory cat. I do plan on getting a 20 or 30 gallon tank in a few months since I figure my goldfish will be growing quite a bit. But is my tank considered overstocked since goldfish are so dirty?
Yes, it sounds like you are overstocked...by quite a bit. You go by the adult size of your fish, even though they may not yet be adults, aiming for a maximum of 1" of adult fish per gallon of water. 2 goldfish could work in a 10 gallon tank. However, Chinese algae eaters get up to 10-11", Mollies 3-4", and the cory around 3". That means you now have a total of approximately 27 inches of fish in a 10 gallon tank, which is way too much. In addition, goldfish are coldwater fish and should not be kept with tropical fish...there temperature and other care needs are just too different. I would suggest getting a new tank as soon as possible. Leave the goldfish in the 10 gallon, and move the tropicals into the new tank, which should be a minimum of 20 gallons. Also, just a heads up...chinese algae eaters, when they grow up, are very hard on other fish...they will literally chew holes in them. For the most part, just adding the 2nd tank you are already thinking about will help you a lot, but you may want to give serious thought to taking the algae eater back to the store.

BoSox Fan7

Valued Member
Reaction score
THAT IS A GREAT LINK THANKS FOR PUTING IT ON!

Bill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to put a little bit of my own experience in here, not trying to be devil's advocate or anything

We have a ten gallon (UK) biOrb, that's about 12 US gallons. With some goldfish and white clouds in it, that we've had for about 8 years. After reading allthis information on the internet, I've come to know that it's really overstocked! 12" of fish, right? Well, we've got 8" of white clouds, and about 15" of goldfish.

By all the standards, the goldfish should be "deformed little runts", especially as goldfish are so messy, but they are in perfect health - one of the current goldfish is fully grown, 6", and has been in there for about 6 years, another recently died, also at the length of about 6", who had been living in there since we got the tank 8 years ago. Even out of the white clouds, only one has died, and that was due to stress during a water change; all the rest have lived for about 5 years. The only maintenance on the tank is a water change every couple of months (I'm going to ask my mum to do it more often now, but the fish have managed fine for years in that situation).

Here is another very overstocked tank that seems to be doing well: .

All I am saying is that fairly small fish, from experience, seem to be okay with overcrowding. Obviously we didn't know anything about the 1" of fish per gallon rule, or even the nitrogen cycle, when setting up the biOrb (we just had the advice of lfs), and I wouldn't do it like that again, but some smaller fish are clearly able to reach their full potential in a crowded tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom